cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl 1 or adsl 2

pegasus20
Grafter

adsl 1 or adsl 2

just managed to have a quick chat with a bt engineer who was installing a neighbours fibre and i asked him about any line problems in the area as my broadband went really slow...which has picked up speed since chris from plusnet reset my line...
he asked if i was on adsl 1 or +2 and said the exchange had been upgraded to 21cn recently when the fibre work had been done....i don,t have a clue about these things so i could not answer but advised me to speak to my isp....but he did say there were a few problems at the exchange that have now been fixed but still to speak to my isp to keep an eye on any problems with my line....
so the main question for me is which adsl am i on and how do i find out..and is adsl 2 better than adsl 1....
many thanks
85 REPLIES 85
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: adsl 1 or adsl 2

Your line is on 21CN, which is likely to be what the engineer is calling ADSL2. This is the newer network and allows for faster speeds.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pegasus20
Grafter

thanks for that chris at least i am getting to learn something...so i take it this 21cn is a bit quicker than what i was on before....and would upgrading any of my equipment in my house be any beneficial or should i leave alone... Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi pegasus20,
If your are using the TG582n modem/router can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats (login required) - the default username is admin and the password is the serial number as on the label or plastic card and starts CP...... (don't post that).
The stats will tell us a lot about your line and connection.
pegasus20
Grafter

is this what you need....not really good with IT stuff so i apologise if this is wrong
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:04:58
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 3.872
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 45,83 / 247,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 32,2 / 55,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,0 / 6,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 66 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 89 / 412.185
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1.045
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 44.905
Anotherone
Champion

That's just what was needed, and don't apologise most of us here don't expect people to be technical wizards, so if there's something you don't understand, then ask away and we'll try and explain. I'll just post this so you know you've done the right thing and then I'll tell you a bit more about what the stats are telling us about your connection.
Edit: you've probably worked out you need to refresh the thread to see new posts  Wink
pegasus20
Grafter

i understand things like forums im a member of a club that is very similar to this one,it,s more the tech stuff on the workings of the internet where i am complety stumped thos numbers to me mean nothing except the dowload/upload and thats only because i use a speed checker just to monitor my speed but that is it  really....but thanks for advice it is welcomed  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

The stats tell us you are on quite a long line, around 4km cable length to the exchange - this comes from the Line Attenuation figure, that means you will have a slower speed than someone closer to the exchange.
The Plusnet TG582m modem/router is actually a very good modem/router in terms of performance regarding connection to the exchange - it has a "Broadcom" manufacturer chipset inside it, and they are rated to be amongst the best chipsets. So your friend recommending you get rid of it and buy your own is not as informed as they should be.
Your current "sync" speed (the speed you are connected to the exchnage) is actually quite reasonable for your connection, however there are a few errors there and you've had some drops in connection. It suggests some interference or noise on the line. I'll explain more about all that in a minute. Meanwhile could you do a Quiet Line Test dial 17070 and select Option 2, listen for quite a while and tell me if you hear any crackling or other noises. You should ideally do this with a corded phone rather than a cordless. A very very quiet hiss is usually acceptable.
pegasus20
Grafter

ive done the quiet line test and it is nice and quiet no crackles or hissing..
Anotherone
Champion

Just one other tip whilst I think about, I did check your other thread to see what other information you may have given about your connection problem - in cases like this although you are "asking" a different question here, as it's all related to the problems you've had, it's always a good idea to keep everything in one thread as it's easy to see the whole history and information.
In direct response to your question, as Chris mentioned, you are connected to 21CN equipment at the exchange which provides ADSL modes 2/2+.
A line can also be set to ADSL1 mode on this equipment and is sometimes done to achieve stability, but in your case you are connected in ADSL2 mode because of the long line. This has no detrimental effect and will probably give you better performance overall.
As mentioned there could be noise or interference causing the errors, the Quiet Line Test might have been revealing, but there are other potential causes and to address those, we need to know a bit about how you are connected, so some questions -
Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left?
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and where are you currently plugged in? Where do you normally plug in?
I expect as part of the Fault Diagnosis procedure you've been through the swap filters, plug into test socket routine but -
Do all your Microfilters look like this?
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, more questions, are you using any extension phone leads either between the phone socket(s) and any filter, or your filter and your modem/router?
pegasus20
Grafter

the answer for the socket is yes also the filter yes and i am still currently connected direct to the socket.....my system is wired up as follows filter in the test socket dsl cable to the router router is next to where i sit with the laptop today it,s on wireless but yesterday i had it connected with the ethernet....the only extension is for skybox currently unplugged and i have one house phone currently unplugged....so over all my router is the only thing connected to the socket with the cables provided by plusnet..i did swap filters when my fault first started... Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Can you tell us a bit about the "extension" for the Sky-box, what it's connected to, does it have it's own filter where it's plugged etc and similarly for the phone?
pegasus20
Grafter

the extension for the sky box is about 1m long and has a double plug on the end which plugs into the phone port of the adsl filter and then the house phone plugs into the sky double plug if you can understand that...
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, that's fine, understood, just a couple of other points to confirm - so the front plate removed from the NTE5A Master socket to get to the Test socket has no wires connected to the back of it then? Is the Sky box actually connected to the mains and in stand-by or on at the moment?