Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

actual fttc speed on new connection much much lower than reported line speed

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: actual fttc speed on new connection much much lower than reported line speed

It looks as though Will from the Faults Team has this in hand for you.
Fingers crossed with the engineers visit, I'm sure if there are any issues with the service, they will get sorted out for you on Thursday.
japsander
Dabbler

Re: actual fttc speed on new connection much much lower than reported line speed

well just to update you.
the engineer just left. he was very helpful and explained things as he was going along.
there was no fault that he could see and the tests showed the line is running at 100% of its stated speed of around 23Mb/s
the only test he couldnt do was a resistance test due to his equipment not liking the earth or something to those words.
looks like this is the max i can get after all Sad
BT really need a more realistic way to estimate line speed (50% overestimation is a tad misleading) and i dont know why my line speed stated 37Mb in member centre but i guess thats life
thanks for the help guys
japsander
Dabbler

just ran another btw test
Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
20.49 Mbps

0 Mbps 20.34 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.49 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-20.34 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 20.34 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.86 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.86Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

so its dropped from 23.59 to 20.34 Sad
3Mb lost
can i expect it to keep dropping? or will it increase again?
all i see is conflicting information about the way DLM works on fibre. most times i read reports of slowdowns but hardly any speedups
AndyH
Grafter

Something is amiss if it keeps dropping like that. Sounds like further investigation is needed.
Normally the BT estimates are fairly accurate (lots of people would be complaining if they weren't!).
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Looking at the notes, it appears as though the Faults Agent had your DLM reset which the likely reason for slight fluctuations. I would see how things go over the weekend and if you're still seeing drops in speed, please reply back to the Fault Ticket and our Faults Team will take another look over things for you.