Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

abreviations in postings

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: abreviations in postings

I agree with the above. I'm not a fan of words being shortened (i.e. you are -> U R etc) though acronyms such as IMO, IIRC etc don't bother me in the least to read and at least it feels like it's saving me hassle to type them.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Grin Whats the International Marine Organisation got to do with us Huh
IMO
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The English language has always evolved over time and continues to do so.
Each generation sees the proceeding one as corrupting their English not evolving it.
I am one of those and I do tend to see it as a corruption occasionally and it makes me angry...briefly.
Orbrey says
saving me hassle to type them
which implies a certain reluctance to use his native language correctly. Ok, we all make grammatical and spelling errors but hopefully not deliberately and generally not because we can't be bothered.
Texting, I consider a subset of English with a place of it's own where character space is limited. That situation does not apply in the Forum as Mikeb has eloquently demonstrated in some of his posts of late.
I await the suggested solution with anticipation.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Text speech is not English, or a language watt is recanised by England or the EU, that is why no text reader can read it!
So Stop It.
Strat
Community Veteran

I fully sympathise with your particular situation Gary as you are probably aware.
How does your text reader cope with acronyms?
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

It doesn't cope with acronyms. 
No text reader does cope with acronyms.  Sad
Strat
Community Veteran

So basically they are a waste of space to you and anyone else in your situation.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
It doesn't cope with acronyms. 
No text reader does cope with acronyms.  Sad

I fortunately haven't got your problem but use http://www.naturalreaders.com/ to read e books to me, it spell out any word or Phrase it doesn't recognise, it has a simple version free and a lot of versions you pay for, it can use standard Microsoft voices. Free
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I generally assume that forum users are conversant with common acronyms and if not can tell using a combination of context and http://www.abbreviations.com or similar what is actually meant. It's a forum, not a literary convention. If I was writing a book I agree, I would not use such phrases, but there is a time and a place.
Strat
Community Veteran

BOLOR has stricken me down....will I ever live to fight again Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

being very new to Forums, I dont know what  BOLOR means, even his web site doesnt tell, me have you spelt it correct
Also if this is only for the High faluting how do the other 98% of PN users find out the Juicy bits:  the  "regular" e-mail news letter doesn'[t and the last came out too late to be any use
Poor old Gary will have to go else where.
Strat
Community Veteran

Sorry pierre_pierre.
BOLOR is a mythical being that has been invading and pervading the forums for some considerable time.
His/her/it's identity is known to a few mortals but all are sworn to secrecy.
The precise form of this entity is open to heated debate.
I can say no more than this Lips_are_sealed
PS If the forum search was working you could find numerous occurrences.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

BOLOR has been known to use acronyms when he/she/it feels like it.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Moderators clos your eyes.
Quote from: orbrey
I generally assume that forum users are conversant with common acronyms and if not can tell using a combination of context and http://www.abbreviations.com or similar what is actually meant. It's a forum, not a literary convention. If I was writing a book I agree, I would not use such phrases, but there is a time and a place.

Ok then orbrey:
1) The Forum is provided by F9 / PlusNet Yes?
2) This Forum is a service Yes?
3) So because I use a text reader you are saying that I can not, use the service, is that write?
4) With a book I can and do use Optical Character Recognition Software, mind you the book is no good wen I am done with it!   Smiley
5) So I shoodent be abal to have a laf with other people, is that watt you are saying to me?
6) So you are saying to me that I shoodent get information from the Forum, is that watt you are saying to me?
Moderators note by roger (rogerloxton) Removed inflammatory personal remark as per the link:rules
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could have added that disabled access is now a legal requirement