cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your average speed drop post AGAIN!

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Your average speed drop post AGAIN!

Not much to explain rather speed drops averaging from 1mb-2.3mb. My usual speed is around 5mb even though my line can handle 8mb. Im getting far below what i should be getting. If it is connection cuts doing this then there must be a problem with my router which ive explained in the past and have asked for a new router which i was told is being send out 1 month ago. Please fix.
31 REPLIES 31
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Your average speed drop post AGAIN!

ashrafmiah93, what you have done is made the "average speed drop post" that isn't going to get you anywhere: you need to be more proactive because the statistics say it is much more likely to be a problem that you can fix than a problem Plusnet can fix for you.  Why not have a read of some of the posts where people actually get their problems fixed (which is quite a large percentage), read what information they are asked to supply and supply it?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
If you could post the details as per Jim's link above that'd help us to get things sorted. Regarding the router, I've had a look through the tickets on your account and can't see anywhere we said we'd send one out? If you could advise of a ticket ID I'll be happy to chase it for you.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Here they are i dont know how to show a actual image of it so i copied the text.
"Telephone number:
000000000 <- took the number away for privacy
Phone exchange:
SHOREDITCH
Estimated line speed:
6Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2011-05-19 21:38:37
Current line speed:
2.7 Mb"
i attached files to show u that somethings changed on my bt speed test. max achieveable speed is 4mb? This is outreagous when since before my max achieveable speed was 7mb? why has the max gone down? i used to get speeds upto 5mb because the max was set higher now its gone down?
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  screen shot removed as it had your phone number in it ]
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Just to add a week or 2 ago BT or whoever it is had a planned maintenance which had shut my connection down for a few hours or so could this have caused the change?
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  screen shot removed as it had your phone number in it ]
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Clearly the IP profile and connection speed match so we are left with the one piece of information you didn't provide and that is the stats from your router - speeds, attenuation and noise margin which hopefully will give an idea as to what has gone wrong
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Is this it?

Link Information
Uptime: 13 days, 7:11:15
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,092 / 4,228
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 3,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.20 / 23.45
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 66,993 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 671 / 77,177
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 233 / 150,663
Why has everything changed after that maintenance ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Indeed that is the information we need.
What appears to have happened is that the default noise margin has been bounced up from 6dB to 15dB at a guess (it might be 12dB but I doubt it)
looking at the time your router has been in sync and the very low error rates it can easily stand much higher speeds.
Can I ask you to resync the router with the exchange during the daylight hours and report the stats again
If I am correct your speeds won't change much but it will eliminate or otherwise the other possibility which is that when they were fiddling at the exchange your router resynched at a time when there were still problems and it hasn't resynched since. If this is is the case you will immediately see much higher sync speeds
As a note you will notice the very high number of error seconds - this is because this doesn't reset unless the router reboots - a resynch doesn't reset the number - and this would tend to support the idea that there were a lot of problems with the line while they were fiddling at the exchange
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

by resync you mean to just reset the router? at what to be safe should i reset it? if it doesnt fix the issue what can i do? because obviously my ip stats have been changed to the wrong ones and it shouldnt be like this.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Your target signal to noise ratio ("noise margin") seems to have been set too high by the equipment in the telephone exchange, probably as an accidental side-effect of the planned maintenance.  Your connection has been up for over 13 days so it appears to be very stable now.  If restarting the router does not fix the problem, ask Plusnet to reset your connection (back to the initial training state) so the target SNR is reset to 6 dB.  This should give you a considerable increase in download speed.     
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your IP profile is correct for your present sync speed and what we need to find out is what is the sync speed after a manual resync with the exchange - I am not sure how to do that with your router but just unplugging it from the telephone point and reconnecting won't do any harm if you only do it once
Depending on the resulting speed we will know what to do.
The options are -
1. If the sync speed is much higher with a noise margin of 6dB - leave it alone and your profile on the BT side will change almost immediately and on the Plusnet side within about 12 hours
2. The sync speed doesn't materially change with a noise margin in the 12dB to 15dB band - then you will need to ask for the default noise margin to be reset - Plusnet can do this - and this should sort the problem
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Thank you oldjim and reedrichards, youve been great help especially jim. i shall get back to you tomorrow sometime to let you know whats happened. Thank you for now.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Ive reset my router and everything has gone back to normal now Tongue

pierre_pierre
Grafter

another interesting point is that before your refresh your connection was 992.3 annex a, that is not full ADSL2+.  it is now 992.5 which is
try another reset tomorrow, but between the hours of at least half hour after sunrise and before 2.pm