cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Force9 Website is over its bandwidth allowance

Not applicable

Re: Your Force9 Website is over its bandwidth allowance

Quote from: puddy
I have disabled right click so most people cannot download them. 

Thats not going to save you any bandwidth - to see the images on their screen, anybody visiting your site downloads them already - all disabling right-click would do would make it a slightly longer process for somebody to keep copies of the images.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi puddy,
Your issues with your site being archived aren't caused by the recent problem (now fixed) with the webspace over bandwidth script. You can see from the webstats on your account that you are using over the bandwidth limit on your account. This is likely due to the video on the front page and the images being hotlinked to other sites/google. I'd suggest trying to use a .htaccess file to stop people hotlinking to your images and see if this makes a difference.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puddy
Grafter

A customer service agent suggested the disable right mouse click mode.  I was being told last week that the issue was page 2 now I am being told its page 1.
My site is a small boring homepage with less than 6 pictures about me my cat and boring airplane pictures.
The web cam was on the most of last summer and I never had my web page archived.
I would love to have 100's of people visit my boring site but don't think that will happen do you.
I have had this homepage for more than 6 years with no problem until November 2007
The counter on my web page 1 has only moved 7 places most of them by F9 checking the web site out

puddy
Chris
Legend

Quote from: puddy
A customer service agent suggested the disable right mouse click mode.  I was being told last week that the issue was page 2 now I am being told its page 1.

Which page do your webstats show the most data being transferred from?
My site is a small boring homepage with less than 6 pictures about me my cat and boring airplane pictures.

There are alot of people searching for cat pictures recently due to the boom of Lolcats
The web cam was on the most of last summer and I never had my web page archived.

Depending on the size of the images and the frequency of uploads of the pictures it may not have hit the limits.
The counter on my web page 1 has only moved 7 places most of them by F9 checking the web site out

Hotlinking to images won't move on your webcounter as people don't actually have to visit your site. Try using the .htaccess file as suggested above and see if this makes a difference.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mikeb
Rising Star

Not wishing to state the bleedin' obvious ... but a quick look at the raw logfiles will tell everyone concerned EXACTLY what is happening here by identifying which file(s) are being accessed, how often and by whom etc. The data presented on the portal is OKish but never tells the whole story and all that.
Any 'unusual' activity such as some idiot reloading the same data over and over again or a hotlinked file on a 'popular' site etc. will be 100% obvious in the raw data and can then be dealt with by adding an appropriate entry in .htaccess.  Whilst the likes of myspace, facebook, aol and various other really-need-to-get-a-life.com sites are made freely available to stupid people for wasting both their own and everyone else's time and bandwidth willy-nilly, .htaccess is your best friend Wink
Why all the guess work and unhelpful "try this / try that" suggestions when the precise reason for and solution to the problem is so readily available ?

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Chris
Legend

Quote from: mikeb
Not wishing to state the bleedin' obvious ... but a quick look at the raw logfiles will tell everyone concerned EXACTLY what is happening here by identifying which file(s) are being accessed, how often and by whom etc.

It would do, if raw weblogs were available on free accounts.

@puddy
I've just been through your stats for this month and they show that most of the visits to your site are from google and that yesterday there was over 103MB of data transferred from your site.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not just free accounts that dont have access to weblogs, I am on a legacy paid account, I used to have web stats, but now they have been withdrawn. - fact.  Angry Cry