Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube Video uploading

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: YouTube Video uploading

that's excellent news Smiley
I would defo suggest asking PlusNet to stick it up as a guide for people on there FAQ stuff and yeah it cant hurt to post a blog page with that on plenty of people have problems but have no idea what it is and often will resort to a full reinstall of the pc to *fix* any issues
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MikesMovies
Grafter

Yes good plan, I was looking at ways to have MTU automatic, but a few of the free softwares that can do this seem to be full of rubbish Sad
Anyway great stuff and thanks for your help and the same to all on here.
Plus Net, do you want that guide?
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For my benefit - as I got lost with all the varying suggestions
What exactly did you change which fixed it.
If it was MTU what was it and what is it now
MikesMovies
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
For my benefit - as I got lost with all the varying suggestions
What exactly did you change which fixed it.
If it was MTU what was it and what is it now

Hi, if you look a couple of posts above you can find my pdf showing what I did, hope it helps?
nanotm
Pro

he ran the command to wipe all and rebuild as default the netshinterface stack
probably from the post I linked him about how to reinstall the default values then rebooted the pc, the advantages of running the built in repair tool from a command prompt is it deletes and puts in new registry keys which eliminates registry corruption as the cause (something that quicktime and other download managers often cause) if he had run the Microsoft fix-it tool  that wouldn't have changed the registry values and left him in the same boat if it had actually run instead of throwing up an error......
it is possible to mess about with the whole stack disable all or part of it and even delete then build it from scratch but it doesn't often work unless you also edit the registry keys to match what your writing in the setup values (something various blogs on the net elude to but few if any come straight out and say it) the best advice in future is leave it all running in auto mode (it is by default) and if problems crop up in the future re run the reinstall process
but overall I would advise upgrading to a newer OS  before XP goes into unsupported mode (that's when MS will remove all there current XP help files from there website) 
MikesMovies
Grafter

Just  to finish this, can anyone suggest a safe free screen video follower? I'd like to try and make a video guide of what I did a bit later for others and need to be able to show what my screen does as I go.
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: MikesMovies
Hi, if you look a couple of posts above you can find my pdf showing what I did, hope it helps?
Thanks - missed that
nanotm
Pro

if you don't mind making it in 30 second snaps then fraps for free or if you like it fraps full (unlimited time limit on recordings) is only £25 for lifetime, you still need to convert the files though to upload them,
failing that put your iphone on the back of your chair and just make a video that way (given that your pc is running iphone software i'm assuming you still have it) with the added bonus of being able to record the voice at the same time as the visuals Smiley
MikesMovies
Grafter

Found camstudio free which seems to work, Right talking of work I have to get off to work LOL
Feel very happy to have this matter sorted, if only I'd found you guys earlier  Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The part of the PDF about running microsoft fixit 50613 to set the MTU for 1492 is probably unnecessary because that fixit tool says it sets the MTU for PPP connections, but your computer isn't making the PPP connection, it's connected via the router.
Is it really necessary to block those IP addresses, or does it still work without those blocked, after the netsh reset command?
nanotm
Pro

yeah but unless your running something else then your on a ppp connection (I think virgin uses a different type) on a phone line based isp
and yes it is unnecessary to run the fix-it tool and then reset the stack to default (the fix-it tool is also largely pointless as most problems are a result of incorrect registry key entries which it does nothing about)
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
before XP goes into unsupported mode (that's when MS will remove all there current XP help files from there website) 

Sorry but what? Microsoft aren't going to just start pretending that XP doesn't and never did exist in April next year, they just won't release any new updates for it.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: nanotm
yeah but unless your running something else then your on a ppp connection (I think virgin uses a different type) on a phone line based isp

I'll clarify what I said earlier: The microsoft fixit tool only changes the MTU for PPP connections created by the Windows PPP networking components, which aren't being used here. So it has no affect.
Razer
Grafter

It seems, then, MikesMovies, that you did what I did (and mentioned earlier), you reset your TCP/IP stack. Makes me wonder what caused the same problem for the both of us in the first place.
MikesMovies
Grafter

Quote from: Razer
It seems, then, MikesMovies, that you did what I did (and mentioned earlier), you reset your TCP/IP stack. Makes me wonder what caused the same problem for the both of us in the first place.

Just in from work, yes I have been wondering that! I also wonder why it seemed to only affect YouTube as I was able to upload to mediafire etc without apparent issue.
Going back to my PDF, yes I will leave out the 'fixit' reference.
As to the blocked IP address ranges, This was recommended to improve YouTube watching, as it stops them throttling videos themselves! so I think on balance I'll stick with that for now Smiley