cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another speed issue

phewitt

Yet another speed issue

Hi all
For the third time in less than a year I am experiencing speed issues. When I say 3 times in the last year, these faults have gone on for most of the year and still Plus net have yet to fix them. After opening tickets and writing many complaints the speed will be pushed up, but soon drops to an unacceptable level, currently running around 700k dl but after last complaint was getting 1.8mb so am struggling to understand what is going on. Only two phones in the house, both of which have filters on. Router is in the main socket. No sky, alarms of other stuff using the phone line.
Router stats:
Link Information
Uptime: 9 days, 20:18:47
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 951
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 44.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 22.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 202 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 162 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 1,946
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 884

I have attached a speed test which shows some wildly varying speeds.
Was going to raise another ticket, but quite honestly I think the folks at PN support have run out of ideas.
Any help much appreciated.
Paul
12 REPLIES 12
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Yet another speed issue

Your downstream SNR margin is ridiculously high at 22 dB (ideally it should be 6 dB).  This would imply that the equipment in the telephone exchange thinks you have a terrible line.  Is there any evidence to support this?  Is there any noise on the line when you are making phone calls (or if you just listen to the dial tone).  With an uptime of 9 days you cannot now be experiencing frequent broadband disconnections but has that happened at some time in the past?
My advice would be to manage without your second phone for a while, remove the detachable faceplate from the master socket (assuming it has one), connect your router and a phone via a filter to the test socket behind the faceplate, check that the second phone no longer works, ask Plusnet to set your line to retrain then carefully monitor what happens.  You'll need to look frequently (i.e. at least once a day) at your router stats to see if they are stable.  If you achieve stability, replace the faceplate and see if that ruins everything.  If you don't then the ball is in Plusnet's court.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It could be that the sync 9 days ago was when there was a lot of noise on the line. I'd recommend ONE resync during daylight (preferably 10am to 3pm) and see what the stats look like then.
The other possibility is that you've been put on a banded profile - someone from Plusnet would be able to confirm if that is the case.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi phewitt,
Are these stats from you thomson?
I've just ran a line test and the target SNR is both 6dB up and down. You are also on ADSL2+
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Has he had a reconnection since 7:20 this morning?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
phewitt

Quote from: Joanne
Hi phewitt,
Are these stats from you thomson?
I've just ran a line test and the target SNR is both 6dB up and down. You are also on ADSL2+
Jojo Smiley

Jojo
Yes these are from my Thomson, I took them just before I posted the message. Correct I am on ADSL2+.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI phewitt,
Are you in the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
phewitt

Jojo, not at the moment, I will try it in the next couple of days, and will get back to you soon.
adie:quote
phewitt

HI phewitt,
Are you in the test socket?
Jojo Smiley

Jojo
Just checked the socket and it does not have a test slot :>(
Where do we go from here?
You mentioned ADSL2+, but reading elsewhere on the forum it looks like the router is not setup for this as the text at the head of the log says G.992.3 annex A.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your router is likely to be set to multi-mode so would connect using ADSL2+ (G.992.5) if the higher frequency band used with that protocol contributed anything to your throughput. Since it doesn't multi-mode falls back to ADSL2 (G.992.3) which is what is shown on your router stats.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Paul,
Firstly can I just apologise for harping on about this Wink  Have you checked all sockets to make sure none of them have a test socket behind the faceplate? If you have and you've tried an alternative filter, then definitely raise a fault.
Are you able to try another router at all? If not then once you've raised the fault I can arrange for a test router to be sent out and we'll see if that resolves it or rules it out.
Jojo Smiley
phewitt

HI Paul,
Firstly can I just apologise for harping on about this Wink  Have you checked all sockets to make sure none of them have a test socket behind the faceplate? If you have and you've tried an alternative filter, then definitely raise a fault.
Are you able to try another router at all? If not then once you've raised the fault I can arrange for a test router to be sent out and we'll see if that resolves it or rules it out.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo
Unfortunately all my sockets are of the LUJ type I think they are called, only socket is on the front, nothing on the inside.  I am happy to try another Router, though the one I have at the moment was sent out by yourselves in the middle of the year to resolve the same issue; but happy to try another.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your help with this. If there is no test socket then all you can do is plug into the main/master socket and make there's nothing plugged into any of the other sockets.
Jojo Smiley