cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong tg582n router for fibre. Any way to change settings?

zxcvbnm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wrong tg582n router for fibre. Any way to change settings?

On having fibre installed this morning I discovered my supplied router does not work. A technicolor TG582n. I have been supplied the one for adsl. I thought it seemed wasteful that it came with micro filters but assumed it was just a generic kit.
I asked was there not just settings to change to pppoe but they said no.
I asked could they not just send me a firmware upgrade and turn it into the fibre version but they said that was not possible.
I managed to connect this computer directly to the openreach modem by an ethernet cable and a dial up connecton. However while I sit here waiting for a crowd of angry people to turn up and question how my more expensive upgrade results in only one working internet device I thought I would ask if this is correct?
I assume my only option is to wait three days and hope the replacement correct router version turns up in the post?
(The speed at 20mps down 2mbps up max isn't great either but hopefully may improve?)
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Wrong tg582n router for fibre. Any way to change settings?

Hi zxcvbnm,
I'm really sorry that you've been sent out the wrong type of router. I can see that the FTTC router is on it's way to you and you should receive this very shortly. Your speed profiles are all matching up.
Once you've got the router connected up, we'll certainly take a look at your throughput speeds to see where we stand with that.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It's definitely possible to reconfigure the TG582n to use on of its LAN ports as a WAN port but it isn't straightforward. I would have thought that its quite possible to flash the FTTC firmware to an ADSL one, the hardware is basically the same.
The only problem might be that yours probably doesn't have a USB port and therefore the FTTC firmware might object.
All the firmwares ( and flashin tool ) are here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Really sorry about this, I can see you've spoken with us earlier today and the correct router has been posted. It can take up to 3 working days but tends to arrive a little sooner.
I'm going to pass on some feedback about the wrong router being ordered in the first instance.
Regarding the downstream speed you mentioned, that is actually fairly close to the estimate for your service but can increase slightly over the first few days.
Apologies again and let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

Well new router arrived in the noon post and is the right one. So someone obviously got it in the post yesterday which is much appreciated. I am up an running now. The instructions do make much more sense when you have the correct router...
Thank-you MR W for the link to the firmware. I'm afraid I chickened out in the end as it occurred to me if I was returning the router I probably shouldn't alter it...

As to speed I was connecting at 8mbps on adsl which was the maximum for my exchange.  I was predicted in the range of 48mb-52mb by the salesman. I now seem to have 20mbps. But I will have to read up perhaps it will firm up over time. We shall see.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As to speed I was connecting at 8mbps on adsl which was the maximum for my exchange.  I was predicted in the range of 48mb-52mb by the salesman. I now seem to have 20mbps. But I will have to read up perhaps it will firm up over time. We shall see.

Everything looks as it should on our side, we're you connected over WiFi when you got the 20mbs result?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I was predicted in the range of 48mb-52mb by the salesman. I now seem to have 20mbps. But I will have to read up perhaps it will firm up over time. We shall see.

Everything looks as it should on our side, we're you connected over WiFi when you got the 20mbs result?
Adam

I was connected using an ethernet cable directly to the router. I did several different speed tests, a multithreaded download and downloading several files at once and it always topped out at 20mbps. Obviously I can't see my synch speed (can I?) but I would guess I am synced at 21mbps or pretty close. Or about a third of my predicted speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you do the BT speedtest and then further diagnostics it will give you the IP profile which should be multiplied by 1.03 to get the sync speed
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

from a bt speedtester
Download speed achieved during the test was - 20.62 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-21.1 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 21.1 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.95Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

*** the email from plus.net ***
Your product change is now complete, here are the details:
This is your account type.
Broadband Product Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
This is an estimate of the line speed you'll get.
Estimated speed 48 Mbps

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not good - the only way to have this checked is to raise a fault
Approximately how far are you from the cabinet
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

I'm about 900m from the cabinet. Mainly through fields so perhaps only a dozen houses between the cabinet and us in this direction.
I always assumed I had quite a good line as on 8mbps maximum adsl we could sync at 8mbps or very close and get speedtests of over 7mbps which was better than many people
Maybe I should try turning all the boxes off and on again? Or asking for my profile to be reset.

The plus.net page says
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Estimated line speed:
48Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-11-08 14:42:56
Current line speed:
78 Mb
I don't know if that means anything though?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you're that far from the cab then your achieved speeds look OK to me. The speed estimates are no more than that, estimates. I'm 500 metres from my cab & I get 42 Megs down & 12 up.
zxcvbnm
Rising Star

Quote from: tijara33
If you're that far from the cab then your achieved speeds look OK to me. The speed estimates are no more than that, estimates. I'm 500 metres from my cab & I get 42 Megs down & 12 up.

Well my 900m is following the road so the line is probably a bit shorter as it comes accross the fields in a straight line.
More importantly its has not got any shorter since they sold it to me as "48mbs and you might get 50 something if you are lucky" (paraphrasing). As I had adsl with them they presumably had a good idea of the line stats.
I'm beginning to regret now pushing the bt guy to just plug it into the master socket and see what happened instead of which he did a bunch of fiddling about and then put it on an extension that he says is closer to were it comes into the house than what we had always used as the master socket.
I was hoping it was just all the turning on and off the box at the beginnging getting it working that had confused it and it would increase but it seems to have no interest in increasing its speed despite being rock solid. grr.
I have bought a cheap second hand huwaei router off ebay so I will see if that is any better when it arrives. At least I should be able to see my line speed on it.