cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

It's the peak time issues(lack of capacity that are the underlying cause of the latency increase during downloading if the connection is unable to get max throughput) apart from the odd blip  of yellow here and there(that i have seen on several other plusnet users ping monitors too, ) which IMO is unique to plusnet
and of course the peak time jitter .there aren't really any latency spikes at other times  the  latency increase shown on my quality meter  when i upload (blue with  yellow top) is normal when uploading   so im not too sure what you was referring to when you said latency spikes if it's not what I've said here ?
AndyH
Grafter

http://craigswebsites.co.uk/ping/
Probably a good thing you're not with VM  Shocked
deathtrap
Grafter

Well  Vm cable isn't available where i live, i've heard mixed reports  from people that know , but they throttle so makes the headline speeds meaningless is some ways, I would avoid any isp who throttle traffic I can still recall my days with tiscali on ip stream or was it adsl max shudder shudder , they throttled  or had no bandwidth almost all the time, i started out on their 2mbps  product  and it ran at max 24/7 even on torrents , then they discontinued it and downgraded everyone onto their upto 8mb max product, high pings and next to no throughput from a full sync rate  like 120kbps on any speedtest
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The latency spikes I was referring to were the increases in baseline latency you were seeing while uploading on your TBB graph.  You only linked a live image so it's moved on now.  Providing you aren't maxing your upstream or hammering your router, you shouldn't see those when uploading.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
deathtrap
Grafter

Please see reply 14 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122435.msg1061689.html#msg1061689 I thought i had explained  that those where caused by me uploading using FTP or trying to upload, The 2  between 8.30-10.30pm wouldn't sustain full throughput , where as the later one did  sustain it hence the baseline (green) increases? and that they aren't happening at other times ,
I'm concerned about the  yellow spiking generated  when downloading  during peak times/times of congestion  ( throughput is less than max even with multiple streams ) also what are the small blob like  increases in max latency that seem to occur  on quite a few ping graphs ?
These are not user activity  as i have a graph or 2 that show this when my pc was turned off  ,these seem to be unique to plusnet, because graphs from other isp's customers don't display them on there graphs, it's almost as if  something is transferring data remotely  or a speedtest  ?Huh
Also re Graph observations  when connected to some GW's  there are frequent  red spikes (packet loss) , almost like when routing gets changed  this only happens on some gateways  but some of it  I know is unique to the links between plusnet and the tbbqm and occasionally  is down to tbb themselves
deathtrap
Grafter

So if this isn't down to something on Plusnets part of the ship , can you please raise this as a capacity issue with BT wholesale /OR  or do i still need to  log it as a fault ? or is a short trial period of the pro add on  worthwhile  trying first ?
deathtrap
Grafter

Still waiting for an answer  based on my clarification  Do i have to submit a fault report /ticket  to get this looked into or not?
Kelly
Hero

Yes, raise the fault.
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: deathtrap
Also re Graph observations  when connected to some GW's  there are frequent  red spikes (packet loss) , almost like when routing gets changed  this only happens on some gateways  but some of it  I know is unique to the links between plusnet and the tbbqm and occasionally  is down to tbb themselves

If you've got any examples, I might be able to explain them.  There were 2 last night and they were to do with some maintenance where line cards were being swapped out.    A couple of nights ago there were a few where one of our peering partners (LONAP perhaps?) were having problems and that seemed to affect the TBB graphs a little.
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Based on what you are saying, I don't think the TBB graphs tell us much really.   Need to dig into your fault.
Kelly Dorset
deathtrap
Grafter

"Dig into my fault"  Well it's most  probably congestion related  not a fault with the connection it's self as it only  is apparent during peak times , more so on Sunday and Mondays when i get the really low throughput issues  which are apparently your busiest times or so I'm led to believe , So it could be something  on your (Plusnet's or is that BT's )part of the ship
As for the red spikes ,Monday 13/01/14 saw 4 instances  5am 9am 7pm &11pm times are approximate but within the hour specified and there also some on other dates too a more pronounced spike was around 6pm on the 09/01/14  to point out just some of them ,as i said they are more frequent  or visible on some GW's
Kelly
Hero

I'm interested in seeing red spikes which are only on your graph and not others.  That indicates something.
A fault is our entry point to pointing fingers are BTW around congestion/exchange issues.
Kelly Dorset
deathtrap
Grafter

Was Sunday 12th not the 13th  i don't think those  small spikes are on other graphs, or certainly not all of them 
There are the small yellow mysterious  spikes  that look like activity  that appear on some graphs even when only modem &router are connected ,ie no pc or other devices  like in this one ,i was not at home during the period this graph covers
AndyH
Grafter

You're not using an Asus router are you by any chance?
I get small yellow spikes during periods of inactivity (look at 6-8am):

If I change routers, they go away.
deathtrap
Grafter

Nope it's a billion, and the spikes on my graphs seem to be at 1.5 hr intervals , well they do on the  graph i posted, The comb effect that you graph resembles in some ways bears a small  similarity to what many o2/Be LLU customers would see , if they used the supplied Thompson router  as it delayed in responding to icmp requests sent  from the tbbqm box, (something to do with it giving icmp lower priority iirc) more like they should of been put in a skip perhaps
Don't know why your asus is creating lag spikes though, i'm sure there are quite a few with asus routers trhat don't get the comb effect on tbbqm graphs,  so it may be something in the way its set up  or being used , such as is it doing other stuff locally in your network ,or a firmware issue perhaps ,or some kind of fault even