Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wossup with my line ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Wossup with my line ?

Had some issues with my old Thomson tg582n router from PN... so they sent me another.  F@ST2704n router.

Hah hah haar . Cry

I used to get almost 6Mbps download, and sometimes just a little bit more, which was fine for my usage, and I had no complaints about that..

I could monitor the line using Routerstats with the Thomson router,... and could see lots of noise , which the guy at PN said was a faulty router..  and he would send me a new router.

The new router has been runing for about 3 weeks, but today I was having slow loadings of pages..

Unfortunately, it seems that PlusNet have "borked" this router, and it will not show the line stats on Routerstats.. (despite Virgin F@ST2704n router being listed on there ! ) .

so I checked the router information  by logging in to it, and noticed that the "uptime" was just over 2 days....

I did not notice any loss of connection, so it may well have been when I was not using the internet, (out during lunch time ) or when I was in bed over night..

Did a OOKLA speed test,... and it reported a ping of 25ms and a download speed of 4.7Mbps.. HUH  ? ?   wossup  ? ?

So , rebooted the router, made a cuppa, and did another test using the "WHICH" speed tester...

here is pics of the router information, and the speed test result..

ROUTER INFO.pngSPEED TEST RESULT.png

Note the data rate on line 8  ? ? ?

Max data rate 6392.....   Now, I know, we do not always get the "max rate"...

but given that I was getting almost 6Mbps... and now getting less than 5 Mbps

So....  the question is.... WOSSUP with my line guys ?

15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Wossup with my line ?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to ADSL Broadband

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter

Having not been on DSL for several years I'm probably a bit rusty;

Looking at line 9, your Downstream SNR margin appears to be set at 6dB which probably indicates that your line is not the best.

ISTR that 'clean/stable' lines would have a SNR margin setting of 3dB which would enable a higher sync rate.

Have you checked using the MW radio test to see if you are suffering from REIN in or around your house at any time during a 24hr period (although a source can be some distance away)?

When I detected my source of REIN several years ago the interference was across the whole MW band not just the specified test frequency of 612 kHz although I had the benefit of knowing what time the interference started and stopped due to being able to run Routerstats Lite.

What results do you get using this speed tester?

Good luck!

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN Thanks for your response.... for the prior 3 weeks I was getting just under 6Mbps  ( about 5.8 ). with the new F@ST router... which was comparable with the onld Thomson router. 

Unfortunately, I do not have a suitable MW radio that I can carry around to do checks, as per the video, although I do understand what you are saying regarding REIN !.

Here is a pic of the speed test requested.

aa speed test result.png

I`ll see if I can get on to Live Chat, and ask for the line to be reset to SNR 9, as that was the usual setting for my line prior to this period.

Thanks again.

shutter
Community Veteran

The above speed test result, was probably done using a VPN !.. hence the high ping rate..

so I have disconnected from the vpn, and here are 5 consequetive results.

AA SPEED TEST 2.pngAA SPEED TEST 3.pngAA SPEED TEST 4.pngAA SPEED TEST 5.pngAA SPEED TEST 6.png

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter

The only reason I suggested that particular speed test was because it seems to be consistent and reliable.

I thought I didn't have an old MW radio when I had the REIN problem, then I remembered an old Sony Walkman which did the job for me.

IMO, if your target SNR margin is set at 9dB, you will sync at an even lower speed!

Higher SNR margin = lower sync speed, and vice-versa.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  ok... well, I haven`t been able to get on to live chat, since I last posted... always get the busy notice...

but i will ask them to check the line, seeing as how they borked the router... and see what gives.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

shutter
Community Veteran

Still not able to get on to someone on Live Chat ! ! ! ...

so I have dug up the old Thomson router... and plugged it in... with an immediate improvement in line speed ! !

here are 5 consequetive speed tests

thomson speed test 1.pngthomson speed test 2.pngthomson speed test 3.pngthomson speed test 4.pngthomson speed test 5.png

Here is the graph for 50 minutes run on the Thomson router.

thomson routerstats 01.png

Note the synch speed at the top of the graph. 5952kbps.. verified by the speed range showing on the right side of the graph vis a vis the purple line on the graph.

Here is the information from the "routerstats page"

thomson routerstats page info.png

NOTE the "Bandwidth" up and down... somewhat better than the F@ST 2704N router ....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

So if your target SNR margin was reduced to 3dB you would see a corresponding increase in your sync speed, probably back to where you used to be at around 6Mbps or better.

If your line is stable, the BT DLM (or whatever it's called these days) equipment can reset your target SNR margin to 3dB after a period of stability, or you can request PlusNet to reset your line which I think will default it to 3dB.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

NOTE the "Bandwidth" up and down... somewhat better than the F@ST 2704N router ....

TBH there's little difference in the synch speeds

The TG582n is 1136 Up and 5932 Down whereas the 2704N was 1119 Up and 5977 Down from your first post.

The 2704N is not a very good router and does suffer from bufferbloat, which MAY be affecting the actual throughput.

Even then , the download speed tests are really not that different 5.1Mb for the TG582 and 4.9Mb for the 2704N, that's about 4%.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Apologies for the delayed response @shutter.

Testing the connection suggests it's currently in sync at 6.2Mbps with an SNR Margin of 6.1dB.

Were the tests above all done over Ethernet, or wireless? As it's possible the speed difference could be down to wireless given the sync speeds displayed are so similar on the screenshots you've posted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
shutter
Community Veteran

@HarryB  OK Thanks for running the tests... all the test resulst shown on this thread, were done by ethernet cable connection to the router.

I have reverted to the "new" router sent by PN... F@AST 2704n.  which  gives the following information from the "help" page.

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7182281B000287 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 11:41:31
7 - Data rate: 721/6230
8 - Maximum data rate: 724/6764
9 - Noise margin: 7.6/6.1
10 - Line attenuation: 23.9/45.0
12 - Data sent/received: 11.5M/112.2M

Following is a couple of consequetive speed tests ( 30 secs apart)

SPEEDTEST 01.png

SPEEDTEST 02.png

These resulst are comparable to the Thomson results previously posted....

However, If you check the Routestats  pic , you will notice that the speed is showing 5952 in the box at the top, with a purple graph line showing something nearer to your results of 6.2

Obviously, because PlusNet has "borked" the firmware on the F@ST 2704N. I cannot produce or show any line speed or SNR figures for that router, now in use.

According to the router information shown above, ... the DATA RATE  ( Line 7 )  is, 6230.... but the speed test pics do not support this..

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It looks like there was a profile on our end that was limiting your speeds to around 5.2mbps

I've now increased this profile to 5.4 which is around the best throughput speeds you'll get for your current sync speed

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

@MatthewWheeler  OK... thanks for that input... but why is it limited ot 5.2 or 5.4 (now )... when your test showed it at 6.2 and my routerstats graph showed a constant 6.2 straight line, although it was reporting 5.9 in the text box above..( on the THOMSON router) ...

and on the F@ST2704n router , line 7 shows

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7182281B000287 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 01:49:19
7 - Data rate: 1109/6262
8 - Maximum data rate: 1128/6664
9 - Noise margin: 5.8/5.7
10 - Line attenuation: 23.9/45.0
12 - Data sent/received: 3.3M/11.8M

. and why the difference between these router obtained figures and the speed test results done from my end?

NOTE  ! ! ! .... just done a couple of speed tests......  because this forum page takes ages to load up.. not instantly like it used to be !

speed test 03.pngspeed test 04.png

Seems to be some "inconsistency" somehwere ! ...

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I think there may be some confusion here.

The data rate the router refers to is the sync speed which is the speed your connected to the exchange at.

Your download speed is different to this and this is based off the IP profile at the exchange which is 88.2% of your sync rate.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team