cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst service ever... is it possible to cancel within first month?

unpleased

Worst service ever... is it possible to cancel within first month?

Hello,

I've recently had the misfortune of moving into a new flat with Internet "included" in my rent, which turned out to be PlusNet. From day 1, it's been nothing but a complete nightmare. The first router they gave my landlady had a WiFi signal so weak it couldn't reach 15 meters down the hall to my computer... I literally could not see the network. We bought a signal extender, but the signal was too weak to even reach the extender so it did not help at all. During this 10 day period, I was forced to use all of my 4G data allowance including overages... my bill this month will be twice the usual fare. The landlady got us a bigger/improved PlusNet router that now reaches my room/extender. But guess what? It's still slow as molasses and drops off every 10 minutes. Nobody in the house can stream movies and even loading a PDF takes at least 5 minutes. I've never seen anything like it, not since dial-up days. Today I got fed up and bought a long ethernet cable to plumb my computer in directly. Not only is there very little speed change, but now every 10 minutes the router starts flashing orange and redirects me to a page for router settings. I log in with the password on the back of the router and it just says "you're already connected, there's nothing you need to do! :)". I've adjusted the DHCP settings in Windows 10, but to me it seems obvious the problem is ocurring before the signal reaches my computer. I'm just wondering, since this service has only bet set up a few weeks, is my landlady within statutory rights to end the contract? We're not receiving the service that was advertised, and we've already sunk so much time into this. Literally any other ISP would be better... my landlady is not very tech savvy so I'm trying to advise her on how to switch to another provider. Is there a way to get out of the contract without incurring some kind of fee?

2 REPLIES 2
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Worst service ever... is it possible to cancel within first month?

Suggest you temporarily plug router into TEST Socket inside OPENREACH Master Socket; then post the router stats here.
What was the promised speed at time of sign up? ; does Landlady have the PN e mail with info?
You can check the BT wholesale speed, by clicking on link below.
Assuming speed satisfactory you may want to consider adding a mains powerline repeater.
eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vodafone-Home-Connect-Powerline-Adapter-200-WiFi-Broadband-Extender-Boost...
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Worst service ever... is it possible to cancel within first month?

Thanks for your post @unpleased apologies for the delayed staff response and I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. We'd need to be provided with some time to investigate a reported fault to us before we look at waiving any early termination fees and allowing you to leave without penalty.

Can you PM me your account username or if you don't know it, your full address should do instead? This will allow me to test your line and I'll get back to you as soon as I can afterwards.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet