cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless signal suddenly very weak

Man_on_the_lam

Wireless signal suddenly very weak

Hi all,

Anybody suddenly have very weak wireless signal this evening? I've come back from work today and the wireless is pretty much non-existent. 

My router is in the living room and the PS4 from across the room has been unable to pick it up due to the weak signal. Even my phone, when left atop the router, is unable to find the network. At the moment, the only way to connect is to use a ethernet cable which is hardly ideal.

Everything was fine as of this morning, so I'm hoping this is only a temporarily (albeit annoying) problem. 

3 REPLIES 3
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Wireless signal suddenly very weak

Hey there. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your wifi signal. Have you been through any trouble shooting yet?
One of the of main causes is usually if any available wifi networks nearby are using the same channel as your router. This can cause interference.
I'd suggest taking a look at this guide for more info:
http://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Man_on_the_lam

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried changing the channel, moving the router and even tried my old TG582n Router but nothing seems to have worked.

I've brought a wi-fi range extender today in the hope it does something, but I've just tried it and I'm still not getting any wireless connecting for devices in the same room as both the router and extender.

Would you be able to look into this further and test line? We've experienced regular drop outs in the last few months which were eventually resolved, but I imagine I need to raise another ticket for this issue.

Thanks

Peter

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'll be happy to run a few tests down your line and broadband. Can you PM me your username please?

[Edit]

@Man_on_the_lam Thanks for your PM.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 29.6 51.5
SNR Margin: 23.5 5.8
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 989351 5405364
Speed: 440 7098

image14684296075390

I've run tests down your line and I can't find a fault with the service.

There's a few drops in the connection, which could be stabilised by increasing the signal to noise ratio. This would lower your speed by a little bit, though. However, the issue you're reporting of wireless connectivity would be a seperate issue that's down to your local network.

Hopefully your new range extender will help you. Please let me know if you would like to me increase the SNR margin.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button