cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless link two rooms in house with TG 585v8

madbilly

Wireless link two rooms in house with TG 585v8

Hi everyone,
I have a Thomson 585v8 broadband router with my plusnet account which is plugged in in one room in my house and I want to connect my freesat box and blu-ray player to the internet, but they're ethernet only and in another room in the house. I bought a Tenda W311R+ thinking that I could wirelessly link this to my 585v8 and thereby extend the network into the other room and connect the other devices to the Tenda by ethernet, and via the wireless link to the 585v8 and on to the internet. However I can't get the 585v8 and the Tenda to talk to each other and I think it's because the 585v8 doesn't support WDS.
Is there a way the 585v8 be configured to support WDS? Is there a way I can get the Tenda to talk to the 585v8 without using WDS? Will they talk but only if I change the firmware/config of either or each router? I've had a look around the forums and can't see that anyone's had much luck making the 585v8 work as a wireless bridge, but if the Tenda could be made to behave like a client then maybe it could connect to the 585v8 and still link the internet to the ethernet devices? I've looked into using dd-wrt on the Tenda but I don't think it's supported, and I've asked Tenda but they've not replied.
Any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks,
Will
2 REPLIES 2
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Wireless link two rooms in house with TG 585v8

Whilst not a direct answer to your question, it might still be useful for you to know that I did exactly this using a Zyxel G-570S running in 'wireless client' mode i.e. it was not necessary to use WDS. I just had to configure the Zyxel with the correct SSID and key of the Thomson.
WDS between vendors is by all (okay, some) accounts fraught with issues. Try and keep things simple and configure it manually.
Mathew
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Re: Wireless link two rooms in house with TG 585v8

OK, a bit of confusion here. If your Thomson is your router, connected to the phone line, you should not need to do anything to it at all. The Thomson doesn't need to act as a wireless bridge, but the Tenda does. I'm not familiar with the Tenda, but not all routers/access points will operate as a bridge; hopefully the Tenda can. I actually do the same thing as you are trying to do but my bridge is a Dlink 1522, and it works very well. You will need to put the Tenda into bridge mode (if it has one) and as Mathew says, supply it with the SSID and key that the Thomson uses.
Bridging via WDS is a possible alternative but has some significant disadvantages, not least that it may not work with mixed vendors.