cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

daniel21

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

I recently changed over to plusnet and recived my thomson 585v8 today and i read that there were wifi issues, so i upgraded the firmware from 8.2.7.7 to .8 and i regreted upgrading. As soon as the router restarted and i connected to the box the last 20mins have been signal drop and slow wifi speeds so i downgraded back to .7.
I don't know what is wrong with the latest firmware but it made my router behave like a cheap ebay router/modem, i think that someone somewhere should look into why the signal drops and wifi speeds decrease with certain routers. Smiley
Device: laptop
Make: hp
Model: G70
Device: mobile phone
Make: samsung
Model: galaxy s i9000 (But alot of people are having problems with the wifi on this phone)
Smiley
Dabbler

I've been asked to post some details of the problem I'm experiencing with my router on this thread. (I'm not able to upgrade my firmware since I'm on an apple)
One thing I will say my internet download speed is great.
And my upload speed is (sorta) ok when using an ethernet connection.
Here's my router details.

Here's my weird results
ON WIFI...

ON ETHERNET...

My Macbook is running os 10.5.8
Here's my Airport Card details...

Which incidentally is all "real"... (see here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,93668.msg785928.html#msg785928...)
I'm not sure if this helps but, kudos to plusnet for the acknowledgment of the problem.
- Smiley
stevewilk
Dabbler

Hi, Had slow wireless web pages taking ages to load with thomson router that had the latest firmware and after reading various forums went and purchased a Netgear DGN2200 the connection speed is so much better now. So I think free is cheap and if plusnet supplied a half desent router they would save so much time and money in technical support.
Smiley
Dabbler

Smiley ...UPDATE!
Well I'm about to upload some pictures to flickr, and before I do this I thought I'd quickly check to see if plusnet had updated the router (or not) and indeed...

Now it's still early days but I'm fairly optimistic so a quick check and...
ON WIFI...

Wahey!
  Cheesy
------
Whoops...
------
Forgot to say thank you, to the plusnet people.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Smiley,
That's been done for you now. Should all be working fine now.
Jojo Smiley
birdwoman

I ditched my elderly Netgear router for the Thomson v8 a week or two ago. I used my husband's PC to upgrade the firmware on the day I set it up, as my Mac couldn't connect. The Mac is now connecting, but webpages are taking a frustratingly long time to load (over 30 seconds to load a page - although download speeds aren't too bad, on the whole - 5362 kbps earlier this evening) and upload speeds are much, much slower - 50 kbps today, compared to regularly getting well over 300 kbps with my old Netgear.
In addition, since I switched routers I'm unable to connect to iChat. I have wasted much of the last 3 evenings trying to fix the iChat connection, and now it appears that the problem lies with the router, rather than iChat.
I've been a plus.net customer for 6 years on a month-by-month contract and have never had a problem, but am now getting very frustrated and annoyed with the apparently poor quality of the Thomson router. I would have been better off sticking with the monthly contract and buying a decent router myself, rather than signing up for the yearly contract in order to get a free router.
Device: MacBook Pro
Make: Apple
Issue: Slow loading of webpages, slow download speeds, iChat non-functional
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI birdwoman,
I have sent you a private message.
Jojo Smiley
kilburncat
Grafter

Device : Laptop
Make :Samsung
Issue : unable to detect printer
Have performed firmware upgrade to 535 v8 router and re-configured as instructed by PN in forum but after one day laptop is unable to find Kodak ESP 5250 printer. It can if I restart the router every time I want to print something.
loulou1971

Hi - I've had similar issues with slow wireless with Thomson V585 v8.
Laptop
Samsung Q330
Win 7
I downloaded the firmware upgrade which hasn't helped, installed inssider and changed channel so not competing with neighbours, uninstalled Mcafee security in case that
was slowing things down - nothing helped.
Google turns instant off telling me my connection is slow and shows me a basic version of images as again it tells me my connection is too slow to support normal view.....
It seems to be worst on google - constantly freezes and says internet explorer not responding at the top. Takes about 30 seconds to find search results. I reported this to Plusnet and received a text to say my connection speeds were fine and no problems detected.
BT Speedtest says it's unable to run a test on my computer despite trying numerous times.
Ran connection speedtest.net which gives the following results:
.http://www.speedtest.net/result/1177096823.png
Speedtest shows 1.60Mb/s, 0.38Mb/s and 45ms Ping.
Do these sound normal - I'm pretty technologically clueless!
This is my first wireless router so have no comparisons but my desktop computer is on the same router via ethernet and that runs fine, very fast and no freezing...any help would be greatly
appreciated as it's sooooooooo frustrating!
Smiley
Dabbler

Cry Oh noes...
...the Thompson router is starting to play up on wi-fi.
Apple Macbook
Issue : low upload speed (Only on Wi-Fi)
iPhone
iOS 3.2.something
issue: low upload speed (Only on Wi-Fi {only has WiFi})
Xbox360
slow Xbox live speed (Only on Wi-Fi)
HTC Wildfire
Android
issue: low upload speed

Download is still awesome though  Cheesy
loulou1971

Update:  Hmmm - spent a good while on my desktop computer this afternoon to print stuff and actually that's running slower now too - google usually flashes straight to selected pages but now it's doing similar things to the laptop on wireless connection - not freezing but taking around 15 seconds to go to a selected page...........
Jojo are you there?! Help!!
fastonebaz
Grafter

Before upgrading to v8.2.7.8 my speed was 4.5mb down, 0.1mb up.
After upgrading it was 5mb down, 0.36 up. more as i was expecting.
so, it seems the upgrade worked.
Laptop:
HP dv6 pavillion
Win7 64bit Home Premium
Quad core
3Gb Ram
FoB
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI loulou1971,
If it's happening on your wired computer also it doesn't seem to be necessarily a wireless issue. I have checked your line on both plusnet and BT sides and they're both showing a profile of 7150k the VP is green, so if you're not seeing those speeds then take a look here for some tips.
Jojo Smiley
Smiley
Dabbler

If it is just the router that's not functioning properly, but this must be hurting PlusNet's reputation.  Undecided
Smiley
Dabbler

:)... The solution (for slow upload) seems to be;
  • use a cable'

• Update Firmware

• buy another router