cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade)

Hi AngieBaby,
According to your plusnet profile you current maximums are 6500k down and 448k upstream.
Jojo Smiley
ross1127
Grafter

Hi jojo,
I'm in the same position as Rena :'(, do you think that you could upgrade my firmware from your end please
bobothebear

Hello,
Since getting my plusnet router ive had the same problem which never existed using a Sky router or connecting to friends/neighbours routers with the same PC's. I've tried all the normal recommendations about changing channels etc etc etc.  So this morning I thought I'd try the new firmware but the same problem exists.
I should point out I've not seen people mention of my exact issue but I'm sure its all interrelated so maybe this will help investigations.
Device : Laptop
Make : Dell
Device : Netbook
Make : Acer Aspire one
Issue: Any time I download a file of reasonable size >10mb the file starts downloading and speed gets up and then the wireless disconnects and the file download fails.  Its as thought the sheer amount of throughput via wireless cannot be handled.
Strangely I also have a desktop PC and have to download larger files on this because it doesn't seem to suffer from this issue.
Normal web browsing we have no issues at all its just the minute any file needs to be downloaded. Similarly when streaming from Youtube ill get half a clip because it stops partway through.

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just got one of these Thomson routers a few days ago to replace my trusty D-Link which eventually died.
The first Thomson I received was 'dead on arrival' - I subsequently found the power supply was faulty.  I called PlusNet and a few days later a second Thomson arrived, this appeared to work OK after setting up.  I normally use ethernet on this particular PC as it's only a few feet away from the router. 
As we also have a PC upstairs I then checked wireless operation.  I initially thought my wireless card (a Cisco 350) was playing up as after setting up, the connection appeared to work for a while then suddenly stop, Firefox reporting it couldn't find the server...  I have since found this is a common problem.  I also have the VERY slow upload speed problem.
Ironically i found that the reason my D-Link had failed was the power supply on that had failed also - then I got one AND a DG834G router for £1 at the local boot sale !!!  By then of course I'd promised PlusNet I'd stay with them for another 12 months - in exchange for a faulty router.
My router firmware is 8.2.7.7.0 - can someone at Plusnet flash it for me - please?  Smiley
(I'm sorely tempted to ask for a returns bag and go back to my old D-Link - DMT also worked on that....)
This machine Dell 9150
XP PRO Media Centre
Cisco 350 wireless card
Router Thomson TG585
Firmware version 8.2.7.7.0
Intermittent wireless
VERY slow uploads
John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@bobothebear
Have you tried shortening the length of the SSID, eg remove "wireless" from it? There was a suggestion that decoding this for long names could take too long when lots of data is being processed.
Don't forget to click "Apply" to save the setting if you change it.
David
ross1127
Grafter

hi jojo,
is there any chance you can upgrade my firmware, i did ask before but still waiting a reply Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
We have provided instructions and a facility to upgrade your firmware in our library article here. We normally only provide remote upgrades for Macs as there is no flashing utility currently available.
Jojo Smiley
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
Sorry about that - I know you've other things to do...  Embarrassed
I flashed my Thomson this afternoon, version 8.2.7.7. to 8.2.7.8, and the wireless connection 'appears' to be working OK. I'll need to run it for a few days really as it initially appeared to be ok before the firmware flash but would drop out for no apparent reason...
However my upload speed is not what it was with my previous router (a D-Link as supplied by PlusNet).  It behaves strangely, download speeds ar OK (well a bit slower than my D-Link but I did re-set the router late afternoon when the line was becoming noisy so a re-set tomorrow morning may help) and upload speed also seems OK - BUT slows down towards the end and finally returns a much slower speed than it used to.
Incidenetally I'm using the Namesco speed checker.
Device : Tabletop PC
Make : Dell Model 9150
Wireless Card : Cisco 350
John

bobothebear

Quote from: spraxyt
@bobothebear
Have you tried shortening the length of the SSID, eg remove "wireless" from it? There was a suggestion that decoding this for long names could take too long when lots of data is being processed.
Don't forget to click "Apply" to save the setting if you change it.

From day 1 it has been set to a 9 character SSID which was the same on my old router. So afraid its not that.
ross1127
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I don't understand when you say there is no flashing, only for mac's, why did you tell rena that one of your colleages would upgrade her firmware from your end when she has two systems using Vista Huh
(Reply #8 & #9)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Presumably, Ross, that was before Plusnet realised just how much work was involved in updating everybody's firmware!   
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Updating would take weeks - and with no guarantee that things would be any better at the end of it all...!
I updated my Thomson firmware yesterday and after much faffing about I got the Thomson working on ethernet and wireless.  On wireless I had the problem of slow uploads, switched over to ethernet and back again and guess what - no wireless !!!
Oh and RouterStats reports my connection speed as 3552 - it used to be over 5000 with the old D-Link...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi All,
There's something I'd like to check. If you could log into your router homepage the go to Broadband connection>DSL Connection>Details and in the list tell me what is says by Vendor ID (local/remote). As an example mine says TMMB / GSPN
Thanks guys, it would be a great help.
Jojo Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

Mine is  TMMB/TSTC  ,having said that my wireless connection is OK now.
One thing I noticed that more initial post of poor wireless upload speed was on 17/1/11 at 7.49pm.
At 7.28 pm on the same day I see there was a service notice saying my router had been provisioned .
On 25/1/11 a re test recorded OK speeds which have not varied ,since that time.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

thanks for doing that anniesboy, keep 'em coming guys.