Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

If you wait until Monday I expect Jojo will request a firmware upgrade for you which from feedback in this topic seems likely to cure the problem. This is done remotely so all that is needed is that the router is left on.
Do you have two different v8s that need doing?
David
grahamt
Rising Star

Having gone through the pages of this thread and done a bit of counting, it seems clear to me that there's a connectivity problem with the Thomson v8s when connecting to a) Apple devices (admitted by PN - mentioned about 8 times) and b) laptops running Vista (not yet admitted, but mentioned together about 18 times).
Other devices and O/S are mentioned, but mostly the problems for these seem to be different (e.g. slow upload speed), and in other posts iPhone, PS3, Xbox, iPod Touch, Windows 7 and Android are mentioned as not having the connectivity problem.
So it seems clear that there's a specific problem with Vista, laptops (various makes) and the v8 router. Now, it may just be that this is a popular combination, but I'm guessing there are also other popular combos of O/S and hardware (if there really are already 20k v8s in circulation) and if they'd had the same problem their users would have chipped in by now.
I've got a v8 on order following a product change (at least I hope it's coming - P&P has been taken from my account, but it's been a couple of weeks now. Maybe it will arrive around my next billing date, Jan 4th). Once it arrives I can test it on our home desktop+XP, HP laptop+Win7 and netbook+Ubuntu setups, and then try it on my father-in-law's Toshiba laptop+Vista (which works fine with his v7 router, except that the wireless downstream connection's only 8mb/s as opposed to 14mb/s wired).
Graham
youngsyp
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Going by something I read earlier, I changed the wireless SSID from PlusnetWireless******* to PW** and that seemed to do the trick, at least in the short term.  Can somebody please recap if there is something else I should have done?     
In my very similar experience, you simply need to change any of the WLAN settings, apply the change and the limited connectivity over wireless will be no more..... for a few connection cycles...
Once you've changed the settings and resumed full connectivity, I've found you can change the setting you changed back with no ill effect.
My first port of call to find the issue would be to find out what happens precisely after applying a WLAN setting. I suspect he DHCP server in the router refreshes and issues the correct IP address to the router for wireless connection.
Paul
leobell

Interestingly enough, I was having the limited connectivity problem on vista all week, today my windows 7 upgrade disk arrived installed windows 7 and on first try it connected wireless with no problems! so that confirms that vista on my laptop was having problems with the router that windows 7 seems to have over come.
jcs1984

after re flashing firmware it worked fine for about 12 hours then back to how it was before
limited connectivity and now my iphone keeps asking for the wireless key even though 5 mins previously it was connected fine
this is really getting on my nerves now
reias

Quote from: spraxyt
If you wait until Monday I expect Jojo will request a firmware upgrade for you which from feedback in this topic seems likely to cure the problem. This is done remotely so all that is needed is that the router is left on.
Do you have two different v8s that need doing?

Thanks. No just one v8. Weve browsed the web a bit and it does seem to be a problem with the v8 and vista.
GlynArmstrong
Dabbler

I seem to be getting the same problems as others are reporting with my Thomson V8, namely connection problems (giving limited connectivity) and very slow upload speeds. The connection problems occur most often when a laptop running Vista tries to connect, but also occasionaly occur with Windows 7 machines. How do I get the firmware upgrade mentioned?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: GlynArmstrong
How do I get the firmware upgrade mentioned?

Posting here should be sufficient. I expect Jojo will check through this thread on Monday and request automatic TG585v8 firmware upgrades for those who have reported this type of problem.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

But it would be nice if there was pull as well as push so you could download and apply your own firmware upgrade rather than having to apply to Plusnet.  In my case the problem is not with my router but with one I installed for someone else. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

[quote=ReedRichards]But it would be nice if there was pull as well as push so you could download and apply your own firmware upgrade rather than having to apply to Plusnet
[quote=GlynArmstrong]How do I get the firmware upgrade mentioned?
Also @ grahamt,
Quote from: Joanne
We're not certain that it is definitely a firmware issue as such (With vista), and I have only just over 20 issues at the moment. The fact that we have well in excess of 20,000 of these units out there means that only a minute percentage are affected. However, we will soon be publishing the firmware that has been fixing the mac device wireless issue so you guys will be more than welcome to see if it fixes your issue, I suppose.

Also guys, it's really hard to trawl through everyone's posts picking out examples, so if you do have an example, please post it in the format as requested before
Quote from: Joanne
HI Guys,
I would appreciate it if you could now post your issues like this...
Example....
Device: Laptop
Make: Dell
Issue: Drops connection/refuses password/never connected
In the event your device is a printer etc. leave the OS as n/a
Thank you all for your help.

Thank you all again,
Jojo Smiley
rellis3

First post as i've only been a customer since the 7th december so Hello everyone Smiley
Make: Dell Inspiron1750
Wireless card: Broadcom 1397 Mini wireless
Issue: having wireless issues with Limited connectivity when the laptop has been disconnected for over 24 hours, i've had the problem since recieving the router when i was activated on the 7th december, since then i have tried all the usual fixes, updating the wireless card drivers, changin security to all the options avalable and still have an issue.
Thanks
Rich
aaronmaas

Hi Jojo.
Make: Acer & HP
Issue: Wireless upload speed slow
Download speed is great now, 1.1mb upload is 100kb, wired upload is 381kb.
sisax

Make: Toshiba
Issue: Limited Connectivity
Make: Fujitsu-Siemens
Issue: Limited connectivity
Both laptops have great difficulty getting wireless connection and switching Thomson router off and on seems to be the only solution. iphone never has trouble connecting.
volcano

I have problems with my wireless Thomson V8
HP desktop on Xp and
2 x HP laptops on W7 and
HP 8500 AOI wireless printer
Issue : wireless networking mainly connecting to the printer
will not network properly unless I log into the router through the IP address, then go into configure the Wireless Access Point and press apply.
I have to do this every time I start up the computer, even though I don't actually change any of the settings.
The security settings are set to WPA,
as for using WLAN to connect to Nokia mobile phones E63, E71, N95 .... forget it, it either asks for the share code and then doesn't recognize it or doesn't want to know at all.
The wireless networking just doesn't work properly and the internet connection keeps dropping.
I have a call out on the internet connection. They have turned on interleaving.. (means absolutely nothing to me and has made no difference anyway)
This is really dreadful, isn't there anything that can be done?
Is there not a fix for these issues, I have been a Plusnet customer for years and now really thinking of moving, why are you still using these routers....

Very very fed up..Please help
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Joanne, I'm still not clear if you have done anything about the problem router I posted about which doesn't belong to me (I sent you a P.M. identifying the user).
If we log onto our routers and check the firmware version, what is the number of the new version.