cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

ross1127
Grafter

Re: Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

I too have the same issues, I D/L the file PN Branded TG585V8R8278DA.bin today so i could upgrade my firmware, but when i came to open it i could not because its a bin file and i do not have a programe to open this with :(, am i doing something wrong here Huh
Was only sent this thomson router the other day from plusnet to solve my issues, now i have another problem Angry
Device: Laptop
Make: Acer 7720G
Issue: Limited Connectivity
Router: Thomson V8
Firmware version: 8.2.7.7
brooksthyme

Thomson V8 Router. Same problem as seems to be happening with others.  Connection drops out without warning (annoying when you lose your shopping basket) but main problem is wireless links. Laptops cannot connect properly and printer needs reconnecting every time you want to print something using the key code.  This needs sorting quickly for me, either with a software fix or a new router because, being new to PN, this is not good enough.  I don't have time to waste with poor service or equipment.
ross1127
Grafter

Well spoken Brooksthyme Wink something NEEDS to be sorted out here and quickly >:(, paying for a service not a problem Angry
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Ross, you need to download the application as well as the bin file. It's on the same download page. Follow the instructions there.
I flashed mine yesterday but the fault seemed to persist even though I power-cycled the router and restarted it from the 'gateway' page. Today I unplugged the power unit and checked the PSU could supply power OK. (Don't try that at home unless you know what you're doing - you could damage the power unit or burn your fingers or worse if you get it wrong!) Anyway, I got 21.8v into 47 ohms which is close enough to the ratings, so that's in the clear.
After plugging it all back together again it's now working at present, so time will tell whether trouble resumes when it's been running a while. I'm typing from my laptop now.
ross1127
Grafter

Kjpetrie, I take it thats theTU_Upgrade zip file you are on about
duncs
Grafter

Been with plusnet for 5 years now I think and had zero issues - absolutely first class.  However, my router died a month ago, so signed up for 12 month contract to get a new router supplied - a Thomson Gateway TG585 (I think thats the model).  It was a nightmare to setup - numerous evenings on the helpline, but eventually got internet access sorted.  It really shouldnt have been all that difficult to install a new router on an existing line, with the same ISP.
My wireless network, which was working fine before this router was installed, is as follows:  plusnet broadband - router - laptops (2, wireless) / Pure Avanti Flow internet radio & streamer (wireless) / iphone (wireless) / Readynas Duo server (ethernet).
The wireless internet connection works fine.  However, I couldnt get my laptop to see the NAS wirelessly over the network (it sees it over ethernet), or my internet radio to see my media server (on laptop or the NAS).  The radio is connected to the router and can access internet radio stations.  Similarly the NAS was getting an IP fine over ethernet.  This was doing my head in for the last month - thank god i was directed to this thread!
Just installed this firmware fix - I can finally access my NAS over wireless!  And my internet radio can now stream wirelessly from my laptop.  For some reason the radio still cant see the NAS media server - need to look into that.
All in all, thanks for this thread and fix.  Pretty disappointed that Plusnet are using this router though - if it wasnt for 5 years of impeccable service, I would probably be asking for my money back. 
One final thing - after installing the firmware, my internet connection dropped.  Eventually got redirected to plusnet login page, but it wouldnt accept my password.  So I had to go through router configuration again.  Suggest this is made clear ont he firware download instructions page.
I will let you know if I still cant access NAS media server from internet radio after some playing around.  It really shouldnt be this difficult!  Netgear routers next time please Plusnet!!!
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: ross1127
Kjpetrie, I take it thats theTU_Upgrade zip file you are on about

Yes.
SiMania
Grafter

This is what I wrote on another thread, I didn't have problems with the connections dropping like others experienced, just poor performance.
Personally I'd throw the router in the bin and buy one fit for purpose.
I have a 3COM router that I've had for a few years, it has done its job but recently has stopped responding overnight and occasionally during the day meaning I had to manually restart, these disconnections ended up reducing my line speed so I decided to ask plusnet for a new router as I've been with them for nearly 8 years.
Router arrived quickly (thomson 585 v8), I immediately upgraded firmware, setup encryption, got all my devices talking to them (I work in IT and am a bit geeky so there are 12 devices that connect to the router at some point).
The first thing I noticed was poor download speeds via bittorrent, a bit of tweaking got them a bit quicker but browsing the internet from other devices was really slow, when the torrent client wasn't running they were fine.
One night I was copying files from my Mac to PS3 via http and the network ground to a halt for all other wirelessly connected devices, loading google home page took at least a minute and using any flash based browsing was impossible.
Today I bit the bullet and put the 3COM router back in its place, torrents are flying, PS3 can download files and we can still browse at the same time.
I'll probably get another 3COM or decent router to replace the failing one but will never in my life subject my poor wireless devices to the thomson 585 v 8. 

tbentinck

Hi - I too am suffering problems with the Thompson V8 wireless router.
My "Standard" config is, Sony Vaio Laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium) with a HP PhotoSmart B110 wireless printer.
However to "fault find" I've also being usiing a HP Pavilion laptop (Windows Vista Home premium)
I've had all the same issues reported here, but can add a few points of analysis......
Firstly, switching off the wirelessly connected Sony laptop does indeed cause problems - for me I was able to re-connect without problem, and surf the internet, however the fault being exhibited is that I cannot print.
Fireing up a second laptop (the HP Vista one), causes me to get the "Limited Connectivity" issue being reported widely here.
Connecting the HP laptop to the ethernet ports, gives me connectivity to the internet, but it's impossible to PING either the Sony laptop or the printer from the HP Ethernet connection, nor can I ping the HP from the Sony.
So, guess what - switch off the router, and switch it on again, and all becomes well, until you switch the laptop off again.
The only final point to add is that I've allocated fixed IP addresses to the Printer and the Sony laptop - maybe that's why the laptop re-connects to the internet when restarted after a shut down?
strathdee

Experiencing problems here with the following device, keep having to reboot router...
Laptop
Acer Extensa 5620Z, Broadcom BCM43xx Wireless Adaptor
Windows Vista Home Premium
Limited Connectivity
Tried changing to WPA, tried g mode only, channel # etc with no joy
Will try the firmware upgrade when the binary links are fixed...
duncs
Grafter

Ok, so Im only seeing the NAS media server on my internet radio every so often, and not at all today.  Per my previous post, its definetely the Thomson router.  Any suggestions Plusnet??  Any chance of a different router?!
My details, as requested are:
Device: Nas & internet radio
Make: Readynas Duo / Pure Avanti Flow
Issue: Intermittant media server connectivity over wireless
Router: Thomson V8 Firmware version: 8.2.7.8 (issue seemed worse under 8.2.7.7)

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: duncs
Im only seeing the NAS media server .... every so often, and not at all today. 

Surely your NAS media server is attached directly to your router with an Ethernet cable?  Are you saying this gives an intermittent connection?!?
ianccole
Dabbler

Hello Jojo,
I took delivery of the V8 a week or so back. Problems I have are:
Poor upload speeds over wifi.  This really does cripple web browsing.
I have updated the firmware to 8.2.7.8 and manualy selected an alternate wifi channel. No improvement found.
I have raised a ticket (#38642968) - but no reply in 2 days.
The speed over wifi is http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70569001.png
The speed over cable is http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/70568781.png
I've only just taken delivery of this to replace a v7 router that suffered continuous Kernel warm restarts when using wifi. I'm not sure what these routers get right? Price?
Ian
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ianccole
Poor upload speeds over wifi.  This really does cripple web browsing.

Really?  I would have thought the upload speed would have only a slight influence. 
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.
This issue is now believed to be resolved.
Please ensure that you upgrade your router to the latest firmware here.
If the problem still persists then please start a new thread.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'