cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Security (Advanced)

bazinga

Wireless Security (Advanced)

Hi guys,
I am experiencing issues when trying to implement specific features on my wireless network at home, using the router (TG582n) that was sent to me.
I would like to have a MAC access control list on the router, so that I can prevent other (unauthorised) devices from connecting. However,  when I register the devices I want to allow, if I turn on the "new stations are allowed (via registration)" option, a housemate's Apple devices (iPad and iPhone) cannot connect. This does not occur with an Android phone or Windows laptop.
Another setting is the broadcasting of the SSID; I would like to turn that off, but once again, only the Apple devices are unable to connect. I plan on speaking to Apple tomorrow, but I have a feeling that they will rebuff me and send me back to the ISP.
a) Are either/ both of these scenarios achievable with my current setup?
b) I am considering the purchase of a new branded router as I cannot manually add MAC addresses to the current one (they connect first and only then do I have the option of configuring/ deleting them), but will I face a similar problem when trying to connect the Apple devices?
Furthermore, I have added an Xbox 360 to the network, but I cannot add the "Xbox Live" service to it; if I attempt it from the "Devices" screen, I am presented with "failed to assign service". When I attempt it through the Toolbox menu, I amm told "port configuration of the game or application conflicts with an already assigned game". I have tried to create a new service with the ports open that Microsoft  recommends, but to no avail... I see the same error messages.
Maybe this is paranoia kicking in, but I would like to add another user to the router, give it administrative priviledges, and then delete the default administrator account. But there is no option to delete users...
Finally, is there any other security measure that is worth considering other than assigning static IP addresses?
Many thanks Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Wireless Security (Advanced)

MAC address filtering doesn't provide any significant security.
Not broadcasting the SSID doesn't improve security.
Static IP addresses don't provide any security.
Quote from: bazinga
Finally, is there any other security measure that is worth considering other than assigning static IP addresses?

Use WPA2 with a very long, randomly generated password. Also, disable WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

This
Techincolor/Thomson Router already have ports opened for Xbox live but you need to tick Use UPnP: & Untick Use Extended Security: under Game & Application Sharing and then apply settings
from this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100690.msg853761.html#msg853761 might be the problem with XBox Live

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattturner
Grafter

Hi Bazinga
I'll do some testing later on some of your points however with the Xbox, everything should work out of the box, are you having some specific problems with the Xbox that you're trying to fix?
Thanks,
Matt
bazinga

Thank you for your quick responses and my apologies for my tardiness.
@ejs: where is the option to disable WPS? Also, is there any advantage in buying a third party router (in terms of security)?
@MisterW: unfortunately, turning off Extended Security and applying the change had no effect.
@Matt Turner: Xbox Live won't connect, but then the owner is studying for exams atm, so maybe that's not such a bad thing... does the Xbox Live service need to be added to that particular network device?
Cheers.
bazinga

I should add that a savvy Plus.Net techie advised me that Apple devices don't get on with anything but WEP, with the exception of newer versions which can handle WPA/WPA2. So it seems that I can't turn on MAC access control lists.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I should add that a savvy Plus.Net techie advised me that Apple devices don't get on with anything but WEP, with the exception of newer versions which can handle WPA/WPA2.

That is absolute rubbish I am afraid. All Apple devices support all security protocols and WiFi standards (apart from 802.11ac which barely even exists). I have never had an Apple device that couldn't get on with WPA or WPA2. Plus, WEP is very insecure and it can be hacked in a few minutes.
bazinga

I agree that WEP is poor for security and I should clarify that we are using WPA2. As I hinted in my original post, the Apple devices don't seem to like it, if I prevent the broadcast of the SSID and/or switch on the 'registered devices only' option.
gingerbloke
Grafter

We had to drop security on our network down to WEP to allow my son's ipod to connect, so it certainly isn't 'absolute rubbish'

Adam
Quote from: Gigabit
I should add that a savvy Plus.Net techie advised me that Apple devices don't get on with anything but WEP, with the exception of newer versions which can handle WPA/WPA2.

That is absolute rubbish I am afraid. All Apple devices support all security protocols and WiFi standards (apart from 802.11ac which barely even exists). I have never had an Apple device that couldn't get on with WPA or WPA2. Plus, WEP is very insecure and it can be hacked in a few minutes.
maximod
Grafter

A friend of mine bought an apple mac, and i could not get it to connect on WPA2.
I could not believe that a brand new laptop could not work with WPA2, i would be very interested if someone could tell me how to cure this without resorting to WEP encryption.
Paul.
bazinga

The Apple store (and official resellers) are usually a good source of information when you experience issues with their devices. HTH