cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Router

Laroc
Grafter

Wireless Router

Apologies if this seems a trivial question.
Recommending Plusnet broadband to my daughter. She will require a Wireless Router - after ticking the box for the router on the sign up page the "Help" icon goes on to say you will require a "network adaptor" to plug into the PC.
Now does this come with the router in the box or has this got to be purchased seperately/locally ?
In other words where does it come from ?Huh
To me this is not made very clear on the sales page
jim:blue all caps removed from title mod:end
11 REPLIES 11
Lurker
Grafter

Re: WIRELESS ROUTER

WHY THE SHOUTING IN THE TITLE? Grin
If your daughters computer is not wireless capable already, it will need an extra adaptor - you can pick these up almost anythere, for very little money - either on the internet, or at your local computer retailer. (Or even most large supermarkets)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Any modern PC will have a wired network connection and I assume she has a wireless adapter built in.
This is a catch all (or cover your backside  ;D) as some PC's don't have a network card or a network connection on the motherboard
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Do you know the model number of the computer?
is it Desktop or Laptop?
community
Grafter

Re: Wireless Router

Hi Laroc
It just occurs to me that maybe you do not know what the previous repliers mean by "network adapter" (if you do, forgive my intervention)
A network adapter is either built in to the PC in presentation or is a separate CARD which you slot into a spare slot!
Sorry, if  this remark seems trivial, but I know that when I first considered wireless anything, I was not aware of that!!!!! ( I was really ignorant)  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Laroc
you will require a "network adaptor" to plug into the PC.
Now does this come with the router in the box or has this got to be purchased seperately/locally ?

I don't believe PlusNet supply wireless adapters for PC's with their routers. If you need one (you may not) you will have to buy one - they're cheap enough.
What you need (if anything) will depend on what computer you have, what is already "built-in" and what your preferences are.
In general:
1. Desktop PC's. Most modern ones will have a built-in adapter for WIRED connection to a router.
2. Laptops. Most modern ones will have a built-in adapters for BOTH wired and wireless connection to a router.
What is the situation? Do you need an adapter or not?
If you do (or don't know) say what type (make/model) of computer it is to get advice here. There is a wide choice with different constraints and performance.
Laroc
Grafter

I was not SHOUTING, I didnt realise I was caps lock.
My daughters PC is very old.
I think you have all answered the question - looks as though I will have to buy the adaptor myself
Many thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is why I always disable Caps Lock  Grin
Given that the PC is old it probably doesn't support USB 2.0 so I would definitely recommend a PCI card - the one I usually go for is Edimax EW-7128g as the aerial is on a wire and you can move it about for optimum reception
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
I would definitely recommend a PCI card - the one I usually go for is Edimax EW-7128g as the aerial is on a wire and you can move it about for optimum reception

And I would definitely agree 100% with that. I have 4 PC's with that very same card!  Cheesy
Laroc
Grafter

Thanks for that info, the card sounds a better choice that a USB dongle
I will put one on my shopping list, I must confess with an old PC I had forgotten about the USB speed
HPsauce
Pro

TBH most USB dongles will work with old USB ports and if it's an old slow PC you won't notice the difference.
But a PCI card is just so much better in every way if you have that option.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think the original wording on the PN page is TOTALLY misleading. It should say "Ethernet Port". After all it was (presumeably correctly) referring to "plug into the PC".
As a consequence there is now confusion about Wireless connectivity. Nor is it clear from the OP's post as to whether a wired or wireless connection is required, although subsequent responses suggest a wireless connection is needed.
But it's worth highlighting that if you don't need wireless don't use it and turn it off in the router. Most users that don't understand the technology just plug it in, switch on and use it without sorting the security, changing default passwords etc.