cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless N adapter for technicolor 582

SunnyDays

Wireless N adapter for technicolor 582

Hi,
I have recently had fibre installed and have the technicolor 582 router. I am not getting the speeds I should be so have read that my computer needs to be compatable with 'N'. I have checked and it is only compatible with 'G', so i need an adapter.
Could anyone please recommend a good wireless 'n' adapter that is compatible and works well with this router?
thank you
7 REPLIES 7
shure
Grafter

Re: Wireless N adapter for technicolor 582

that depends.  What speeds do you think you should be having and what are you getting?  Are you talking wireless speeds or is the problem with the speed you are getting down the line?
SunnyDays

The speed I should be getting is nearly 40mb. I'm getting 20mbps.
I don't think it is a problem with the speed down the line. My computer is quite old so only supports 'G', so from what I have gathered from the plusnet help pages I need a wireless n adapter, but I have no idea which one would be best?
shure
Grafter

G supports up to 54Mbps, so it's doubtful that that's the cause of your problems.
Have you done a test on http://www.speedtester.bt.com/?  Could you run the second test (it shows up after you complete the first one and is called Further Diagnostics) and post the results on here?  I don't know how you are set up but if possible could you do it with a wired connection (connect your PC/laptop) to the router with an ethernet cable).
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The useful throughput of 11g is far less than 54Mbps.
shure
Grafter

but it depends on a number of things and until other factors are ruled out it would seem a waste to buy an N adapter if not necessary, no?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, do a wired speedtest to show the line speed.
But I wouldn't expect much more than 20Mbps speedtest result (throughput) over 11g.
shure
Grafter

you can get anything from 20 to 45Mbps over g, although admittedly the latter figure would need some help from lady luck, but without knowing the exact setup it would be impossible to hazard a guess.  I was trying to eliminate the obvious before jumping to conclusions, that's all.