cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Icon missing

pumpkin

Wireless Icon missing

I am new to Plusnet & have had nothing but probs all the way.  I am connected now using ethernet as, I am told, I need a Wireless Icon WAN, on my Network Connections page, to connect wirelessly.  Support are unable to help & referred me to Microsoft who, after charging, referred me to Dell.  Dell want to charge me an exorbitant amount before they will help.
Please, please, does anyone know where I can get or download this connection?  I did have my system reinstalled during the winter & suspect this was not loaded.  I cannot find it on disc either.  Would be very grateful for any help!  Thanks  Kiss Kiss
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Wireless Icon missing

Sounds like your wireless card is not configured.
What operating system are you using ?
What model is your computer ?
All Dells have a service tag so post that as well ( find out how to locate iit here http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/identifyyoursystem?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=... )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pumpkin
I need a Wireless Icon WAN, on my Network Connections page, to connect wirelessly.

Somewhat off the point; basically you need a computer which has a working and enabled wireless hardware device in it.
How and where that will be visible to you depends on what operating system you are using, e.g. if Windows, XP, Vista or 7.
Whether the device actually exists will depend on what your PC is, most laptops have wireless built-in, most desktops do not.
Laptops, even with inbuilt wireless, often have a wireless on/off switch. And it can be switched off by software too.
(and there are many other reasons why it isn't working)
So: what type is it - laptop or desktop?
What exactly leads you to believe it does have wireless capability?
What operating system is it?
Hary
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
basically you need a computer which has a working and enabled wireless hardware device in it.

Will not a wireless dongle do this.
Saves having to open up pc and messing with card.
I use one like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-Link-DWA-111-Wireless-G-USB-Network-Adapter-Dongle-/310215127117?cmd=ViewIte...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hary
Will not a wireless dongle do this.

Of course, but so far we absolutely NO idea whatsoever what, if any, suitable device the OP has in their PC.
newthing
Grafter

Smiley
wireless ICON see attachment
Cheesy
Toby