Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Channel Choice

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Wireless Channel Choice

I use inSSIDer and have a D-link DSL2640b wireless connected to my laptop.... works very well, however the inSSIDer shows 2 other D-Link routers on the same channel as me , channel 6.  (all are WPA-TKIP secured). the other two have a very low signal level, compared to mine (which is about 3 feet away from the laptop).
Also showing is 1 on channel 11 , one on channel 10, and three on channel 1.
RSSI showing for me , is -32 and all the others are above -84.... according to the signal strength graph, none of the others comes anywhere near my trace... so possibly I am not getting interference from them...would that be the case?
or should I change my channel,... but.. if I do... which one, as currently the three on channel one, seem to over lap to channel 3,  the two on channel 10 and 11 overlap from 8 to 13, where as the three D-link (including mine) overlap from 4 to 8.
.Any advice/thoughts on the situation?
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Wireless Channel Choice

dont think you have much choice, what sort of signal levels are on the other channels?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I must be lucky
shutter
Community Veteran

RSSI showing for me , is -32 and all the others are above -84.... according to the signal strength graph, none of the others comes anywhere near my trace... so possibly I am not getting interference from them...would that be the case?

The signal levels look pretty low compared to mine.... as mentioned above.... "none of the others comes anywhere near my trace"....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my one on Channel 6 is weird, it keeps on changing, numbers and graph it goes to 6-10 for a few seconds, any one know what that is  (thats the Netgear)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just managed to catch it see below
pierre_pierre
Grafter

video showing the info, sorry about reflection and sound - click picture to get video
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
my one on Channel 6 is weird, it keeps on changing, numbers and graph it goes to 6-10 for a few seconds, any one know what that is  (thats the Netgear)

802.11n/MIMO routers use more than one channel if set to 'wide' (40mhz) operation. Such routers are supposed to monitor the use of channels by other routers and not use the secondary channel if it might result in a conflict. The lack of distinct operating channels (basically 3 - channels 1, 6 and 11) available in the 2.4Ghz frequency is another good reason to use routers (or APs) operating at 5Ghz. Wikipedia has a half-decent explanation.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah!.... like you said Pierre..... weird... Crazy