cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Bridge

broons

Wireless Bridge

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but an age old plusnetter. . .
My Question is if anyone has any thoughts. . .
I have a thompson t585v8 and would like to know if it is possible to use this router in a wireless bridge setup?
My second router to act as a bridge can be another thompson router or a d-link, I can get access to both.
Cheers,
Ed.
19 REPLIES 19
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Wireless Bridge

Welcome to the forum broons...where have you been Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
broons

Hello there,
I've never had cause to use the forums up until now, either plusnet have helped me 1st hand or the tinterweb provided the answers.. . .
but plusnets response to my query above is "they do not support advanced features"
Has anyone created a wireless bridge using std plusnet routers ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The lack of replies probably means the answer is "no".
I don't think the router is configurable that way through the Web interface, though if you are feeling adventurous - and know what you are doing - it might be possible to do it via telnet and the command line interface.
David
godsell4
Rising Star

Is the 585 going to be the device which is connected to the phone line? If so, the bridge function is implemented in the 2nd device, the 585 is not important. Also look at something called a WGPS606 for another idea, although called a Wireless Print Server, I use mine for connecting a PS3, my Sony TV and AppleTV to the internet. I dont have a 585.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
itsme
Grafter

From your reply I would say that you have not set up a wireless bridge. There are 2 ways to set up a wireless bridge and from memory both require configuration of both devices.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Only one side of a wireless bridge needs special configuration.  For the first AP the second that forms the bridge just looks like a normal client.
broons

The 585 is going to be the modem attached to the phone line and the other router is going to be the receiver, my understanding is that the reciever router has to be configured as a bridge but the "phone line" router has to be aware that there is a brdige in the network ?, this is where I'm struggling as the 585v8 does not seem to have that many options available for change. . .
fourfourdevon
Grafter

The router connected to the phone doesn't need to know anything.
However I would expect that the Thompson cannot be configured to work the way you want.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Only one side of a wireless bridge needs special configuration.  For the first AP the second that forms the bridge just looks like a normal client.

Even if you want to run both using the same SSID and/or on the same subnet?
fourfourdevon
Grafter

You almost certainly don't the remote side running as a wireless AP as well as a bridge, if you can, you want your wireless clients to only connect directly to the main router, otherwise you will take a massive speed hit as your wireless traffic travelling to the remote AP will be contended against itself, and the main AP traffic, speed will be dire.
When you make a bridge all traffic either side of the bridge will be on the same subnet.
There is no problem running multiple AP's with the same SSID, but as I say, I don't think in this case that is what you want to do...
You would be far better off using something like wireless extender homeplug (still not the fastest, but faster) or a wired network between the AP's if what you are trying to do is extend the wireless range.
When you said bridge, I thought you meant bridge, i.e. to get networking from one side of something to another, not wireless extender, if you want wireless extension you are far better off using wireless extension technology.
broons

I want  to use the bridge modem to ethernet straight into a humax satellite box(a wireless dongle does not work) , no other use than that. . .
I was also thinking of home plugs as a solution but the downstairs and upstairs are on separate ring mains so have been told that this may be an issue.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Two seperate ring mains will possibly stop the Homeplug from working, although if they are on the same fuebox there is a reasonable chance they will work.
Since you do want a bridge, than there is no need for the second wireless to be an AP at all, it just needs to be a client of the first AP.
This is quite advanced functionality for home routers, and from comments here the Thompson is anything but advanced.
You could try this dedicated bridge device from Linksys others are available, I purchased a Netgear one several years ago.
gofaster
Rising Star

I use home plugs for my Humax box and it works fine, despite the two ends being on different ring mains. I have the hack on my Humax which turns it into a media server, I can now play back my recordings anywhere in the house.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Ah, here is the device I purchased Netgear WGE111 it appears to have been discontinued now, but a quick google shows that many places are still selling it.