cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Actual Speed changed?

Richchad
Rising Star

Wireless Actual Speed changed?

I have a Thomson Technicolor TG582n router, I took screen shot of my home network to enable me to remember settings on 31/7/2012 about 4 months ago.
The actual speed was showing 130 Mbps, however when I look at the wireless speed now it is showing 65 Mbps, half that it was a while ago,  Sad  anyone know why?
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Wireless Actual Speed changed?

If you are not sufficiently close to your router, your wireless speed can be very dynamic indeed, changing every few seconds.
Richchad
Rising Star

This is showing on the router network info page like a fixed speed, doesn't appear to vary at all, it is exactly half the 130... 65Mbps ?Huh
adie:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm assuming that you're connecting to the router via the same device as per when you achieved the 130mbps speeds?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Richchad
Rising Star

I have noticed that if I keep same router configuration and just press "Apply" the speed changes from 65 to 130 Mbps, but on a page refresh it reverts back to 65Mbps..
So when I took my earlier screenshot maybe it was after I had just configured the set up and not refreshed the page.
Not sure why it should change like that, is it just showing it can be 130Mbps but in reality it is only 65Mbps?
Normally only a laptop is running on wireless but have recently added a tablet, but both were turned off when seeing 65Mbps.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd suspect that the speeds either changed  due to an increased distance between the devices and the router or something local that could be interfering with the wireless signal.
In case it might be an issue with the router you might want to try a factory reset but I'd suspect the former rather than the latter.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team