cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired speed issues with fibre optic broadband

rogerhardy

Wired speed issues with fibre optic broadband

I have just switched to Plusnet fibre optic broadband having had 1Mbps speed from Orange on a non fibre Optic broadband service. I was promised a speed of up to 30Mbps with the Plusnet fibre optic service.
I have had the speed checked at the main BT socket and am getting 40Mbps and again the same speed at the modem( The BT engineer laid a wire from the Main socket upstairs to the modem).
When I connect any other computer wirelessly I can get speeds of at least 20Mbps which I am happy with but the speed drops with the wired connection to my desk top computer to barely more than 5 Mbps.
I have swapped over the Cat 5 cable with another and swapped them around to see if it is one of the cables that is faulty but the speeds are still 5Mbps . How do I know it is not a faulty socket at the back of the router or modem? I have tried all 3 of the yellow out sockets on my router but it made no difference.
I think it may be some software that I have on my Dell computer but the helpdesk would not even help me to see if it was the computer or not,even to suggest something .

Please help!
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wired speed issues with fibre optic broadband

A few questions
Which model Dell computer
Which operating system
How are you checking the speeds
Can you try using this check http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/
One other thing worth doing is to install NetworX http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ which gives an immediate readout of the actual speeds
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You've proved that the modem supports 20Mbps with your wireless test. What you can do is connect your computer directly to the modem using these instructions: http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
If that gives a slow speed it's not a problem with the router but with your PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rogerhardy

Thanks for your help,I have cut out the router and done a spped test direct from the modem to my computer and it is also showing the reduced speed of 5 Mbps. The problem must be with some software on my computer ,I have replaced my current anti virus software with McAfee ,could there be something else choking the download speed?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

First thing to try would be with the anti-virus disabled.
Are you using Windows and if so which version?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)