cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Live Messenger connection problems

yamahagirl
Dabbler

Windows Live Messenger connection problems

Migrated over to PlusNet from Tiscali last week and now cannot connect to Windows Live Messenger (Version 8.1.0178.00) on any of my pc's.  I have a D-Link router with 1 wired pc (XP home) and 3 wireless (XP Pro).  I have checked the Windows Firewall allows messenger and also the router firewall.  I get the windows error message 81000306 which is a generic message and have tried all the usual fixes such as  reset  regsvr32  xxxx.dll etc  even changed the MTU to 1400 as was suggested in one forum.  I have turned the plus net firewall off to avoid complications at this stage also.
Any ideas as to why it suddenly does not work now I am with plus net please?
11 REPLIES 11
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Windows Live Messenger connection problems

Are you just using the Windows firewall, or are you using an additional security package which also contains a firewall (Zonealarm, Norton et al)?
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

As you have changed your ISP it is likely you are now using different DNS servers so you may need to flush the DNS resolver cache. Try doing the following;
Open a command window
At the > prompt type
ipconfig /flushdns
and press [Return]
you should get a message the cache is cleared, close the window and try Live Messenger again to see if you can connect.
Regards, P.
yamahagirl
Dabbler

I have turned the Windows firewall off and actually tested the connection to messenger with the router firewall off and the plusnet firewall off and still no connection.    Now I have the router firewall on and the plusnet firewall on (set to low) with no other firewall.
I have flushed the dns cache and this still does not solve the problem.  I have just started using OpenDNS today with their default DNS servers 212.159.6.9    to see if that will help but it has not.  However, it does offer site content blocking over my network so is useful anyway.
I have found a work around by using messenger fx which allows you to use your windows live messenger address but of course does not have all your contacts listed.
Very annoying indeed  Angry
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

using OpenDNS today with their default DNS servers 212.159.6.9

That's one of our DNS addresses, not OpenDNS  Huh
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pendragon
Rising Star

From your replies it sounds like I might be trying to teach you ‘to suck eggs’ as they say, but just for everyone have you tried the ‘tools’, ‘options’, ‘connection’ and click the [Advanced Settings] button, then run tests on the TCP [Test] section to see if it can come up with any clues as to the problem.
If you have already done this then ignore my blathering  :D, regards, P.
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Chris - sorry meant the DNS server address is 208.67.222.222 (primary) 208.67.220.220 (secondary).
Pendragon - I have not tried the TCP test section yet but it does not appear to be an option - this PC is XP home and set as a LAN connection so when I try  Tools - Options - Connection I do not get an Advanced Settings button ??    Unless I went via LAN connection and entered proxy settings which I don't think I need to do?
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hmmm, most strange, I just checked and I have the same version of Messenger as you and also use XP Home with Service Pack 2 and a home LAN with router.
On the ‘Option’, ’Connection’ page I have three buttons [Refresh], a section marked ‘Connection TroubleShooter’ with a [Start …] button and the last section ‘Connection Settings’ with the [Advanced Settings] button.
I’ve just done some digging and found the following on a site here. It looks like both our Messengers are out of date (by version number) and I did not get a pop up asking me to update, however the old version works fine for me.
I did also find there could be a problem with the ‘contacts’ cache stored on the computer. The full text is near the bottom but the gist is this;
Delete the Contacts Cache folder by following the steps below:
a. Right click on the "Start" button, choose "Explore"  from the short-cut menu to open the "Windows Explorer" window.
b. In the "Windows Explorer" window, goto the Folder list on the left pane and navigate to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Windows logon name>\Contacts\<Your Messenger email address>  where <Windows Logon name> is the login name you use to sign into windows and <Your Messenger email address> is the address that you use to sign into Messenger
c.  Delete all the files that are within the <Your Messenger email address> folder.
  d. Right click on the "Start" button, choose "Explore" from the short-cut menu to open the "Windows Explorer" window.
  e. In the "Windows Explorer" window, go to the Folder list on the left pane and navigate to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Windows logon name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\<Your Messenger email address>  where <Windows Logon name> is the login name you use to sign into windows and <Your Messenger email address> is the address that you use to sign into Messenger.
f. Delete the "real" and the "shadow" folders that are within the <Your Messenger email address> folder.
You do need to be able to view all files to see the above files and folders (instructions are on the page if you can’t). To be on the safe side rather than delete them I would copy the files to a safe place then delete the originals (just in case).
That’s about all I can find, regards, P.
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Wow thanks for the informative reply - I now have Messenger working on all my pc's down to a combination of solutions:
I uninstalled and reinstalled Live Messenger on my laptop with spybot uninstalled as it was blocking legitimate registry changes and the pop up box was obscured so I could not allow the changes!  I did the contacts cache solution and connected but obviously got a message about having no contacts.  I then reinstated the folders I had kept a copy of and then reconnected with all my contacts present - no problem at all  Smiley   That was a great help with understanding too and I have bookmarked that messenger support site for future use.
I found the TCP test settings - for some reason I was looking for the browser test settings and not the Windows messenger route that was mentioned  but then realised and did the tests giving a hosts error on my daughter's pc - cleared by following the fix given.
The other tests came up clear but I had already made changes to the firewall etc.

I ended up ditching the OpenDNS server settings and have gone back to the plus net DNS servers with primary 212.159.13.49 and secondary 212.159.6.9  I also reset the MTU value to 1400 on the router.
With my host computer attached to the router I had to turn off the router firewall completely and also the windows firewall so only have the plusnet firewall on low.  I am reluctant to turn on the router firewall and have read that the windows firewall is no use.  I need to investigate zone alarm if it is free unless there are any other suggestions? (maybe another thread).
I do still get some connection time outs for some sites (especially microsoft!) and have had a couple of dropped connections tonight but I am still within the 10 day "training" period.
I have printed out a page from kitz.co.uk which explains how to calculate best RWIN and MTU settings according to transmission/ping tests.  I will also look on this forum as I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic.

So I have spent most of today restoring access to Live Messenger - which made my son very happy but gave me a massive headache  Roll_eyes   Although I now know a lot more about DNS and networking generally so I guess it was worth it LOL.
Anyway, thanks for all the replies as they have been really helpful.  Grin
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi yamahagirl
Well done you on getting it all fixed and up and running again. Hope you head is feeling better now.
Quick question;
Is the Yamaha in your name a reference to the motorcycle?
I only ask because I am rebuilding a Honda NT650V motorcycle for my son. A bearing went in the gearbox and the local repair shop quoted both arms and both legs to fix it. So dad (me) steps in and gives it a bash. Just have the fairing to put back on and it’s fixed. Son is well happy.

Back to your thread, I use Zone Alarm because it’s FREE (Yeh) and it stops things I don’t want to talk to the internet from doing so. It is very easy to use and will ask you if a program should have access to the ‘trusted zone’ (your internal network) and/or the internet. You can say no, yes once only or tick a box for yes or no all the time.
If you need antivirus software then I can vouch for AVG and Avast (both free for home use) and you can also download Microsoft Defender for any of your XP machines (free from Microsoft) it scans for spy-ware and stuff and has a very useful Software Explorer that helps you keep track of programs and applications running in the background on your computer.
If you need anything else then shout up and I expect someone will answer.
Regards, P.
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Smiley Yes all well today although the knowledge came in useful yesterday at my work placement - although we didn't fix the problem as it looks like the wireless network card was at fault it did show up the probable cause.
I own a Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP on a G plate so classic insurance is possible now.  I have attempted a few cosmetic repairs such as spraying up a rear seat hub to convert to solo seat and replaced some of the stickers but have not attempted anything too ambitious as yet.  I did offer a team for the Youth Bike event my bike on loan to do it all up for me but sadly not taken up LOL.
Will give Zone Alarm a try as it is very popular.  Would it then be best to turn off the PlusNet firewall?
I have free AV via the university (McAfee) which is satisfactory for now and on my own laptop run: SpyBot, AdAware, Comodo BOClean, SpyWareBlaster, Windows Defender  - although my laptop has about 67 processes in the background making it a bit slow at times so maybe overkill on the spyware perhaps?
Cheers  Grin
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Have tried to install Zone Alarm but keep getting a missing .msi file when installing so will try again in morning.
That ProcessLibrary website is great too  Smiley
S.