Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8/10 Issues

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Windows 8/10 Issues

@MatthewWheeler

Please could you provide further details on the issues that this fix resolves. Does it affect all Plusnet Windows8/10 users, what symptoms/issues does it correct?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
6 REPLIES 6
TomT

Re: Windows 8/10 Issues

I don't know what the specific problem is, but if it's long delays in displaying web sites (or even timing out), then this worked for me:

On the Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IP) propeties page, I changed the DNS settings to using the following two address: 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 - and that worked with instant result. Those two addresses belong to Google.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@maranello A third party update has caused issues with some Windows 8 and 10 devices being unable to get DHCP info from routers.

The fix is to set a static address up as per the guide.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@MatthewWheeler

Thanks, I was wondering if this is a possible fix for the issues I've been trying to resolve in this thread

My other car isn't a Ferrari
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's possibly related, but I think this is something that's only just manifested in the past few days (at least from my experience) while your issue seems to go back a few weeks.

As for TomT's suggestion, I found that to be only a temporary fix (the PC I was having trouble with had already been set to use those Google DNS settings). I found that making any kind of (valid) change to the IPv4 DNS settings (e.g. switching from the Google DNS to automatic or from automatic back to any manual setting) would restore internet access, but the next day the PC would lose access again at some point mid-session without having touched anything. It seems that changing "something" in the IPv4 settings and saving it causes the DHCP to spring back into life and make the IP configuration valid again (possibly re-writes corrupted registry entries).

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

See update on the other thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.