Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 64 bit

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Windows 7 64 bit

Hi MightyMouse,
About Chrome: You may also use more of your allowance with this due the way chrome will at every key stroke send info to a suggestion site for possible results. This probably wouldn't make much difference on one or two sessions but some people have reported using more allowance over a longer period of time. This ahs been discussed in a previous thread and the best reply here is also a very informative read.
Jojo Smiley
MightyMouse
Grafter

I must say that I am a bit worried about explorer 64 .
I do not recall using my internet any more than average today , yet your figures  show that I have used nearly 300 mb . about 3 times my average usage .
Infact my usage seems very high  since I purchased my new computer last Wednesday.
I can understand to a degree the first couple of days whilst Iwas renewing my favouites  but not since .
It also seems very much a coincidence that most of this has been since  my new monthly allowance started Sunday morning
I will obviously have to keep a very  close  eye on it for the next couple of days .
I hope this doesn't result in my having to change to an ISP  with no restrictions on usage, as I have been very happy with Plusnet for the last 2 1/2 years +
julesandsand
Grafter

I've downloaded and am using SRIron. It seems to be exactly like Google Chrome (a bit faster maybe..or maybe not). It's biggest drawback is that there is no AdBlocker extension (that I can find).
MightyMouse
Grafter

Switched my machine on @ 13.50 and in less than 25 mins according to my usage I have used 24.25mbs  .
All I have done is browsed this community site, cambridge united  website( as  I have always done) and plusnet site to view my usage.
There's got to be something wrong here I am going to phone Plusnet  ( am not happy)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I was hoping to pre-empt the call but I can see you've talked to one of our agents - I hope you're happy with the reason given being windows updates, these are done in the background particularly if you've told windows to update itself or to download updates then tell you when they're ready.
MightyMouse
Grafter

No I'm not happy  in the few minutes that Ihave been back on browser to check the question  raised, of which your site says there are no open questions  and to check my usage,  my usage has now  gone up another 10mb to 35.5  in just a few minutes .
Windows cannot be updating all the time surely.
P.s I'm switching my Computer off now as I daren't keep it on any longer
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think todays update was about 2.4MB for Windows 7 64 bit
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can have a look and see how much is left to go - I believe it's in control panel -> windows update.
You can stop it by changing the settings so instead of downloading it just tells you when updates are available - you can then download and install them whenever you want.
@oldjim it depends on what else is installed or how many other patches there are to download I think.
zubel
Community Veteran

Bear in mind your old computer will have cached a *huge* number of images etc from websites, and a new computer will need to download these before they can be cached.
Also, there will be a fair amount of "telemetry" going on between your computer and Windows Update.  I did a fresh x64 install recently and had to download over 700MB of updates to get it fully patched.  It is *very likely* that if you haven't forced the update procedure, these are trickling along in the background.
If you're using Chrome, you can view the resources used by a particular page, by inspecting element, going to resources, clicking Run' and waiting for the page to reload, then view "by Size".  You would be surprised that a LOT of pages will be enormous (Facebook pages are on average around 1-2MB *each*, which can be substantial on first view if the images etc. are not cached)
B.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Also remember if you have security software this will update its virus definitions at least once a day, usually a few minutes after you turn on your computer.  These updates can be large files. 
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks for your replies & my apologies.
It appears that there have been 92 updates so far
Almost all from    Microsoft & windows 7
This to me does seem to be a ridiculous amount
However,  I have taken you advice and turned of automatic up dates
I have now selected :- Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install  them
I plan to install  them after midnight and see how that goes
It appears that there are another 2 downloads ready to be installed (47 MB)
Surely the rate of updates should slow down soon.