cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 WiFi Issues

FIXED
BrianJ

Re: Windows 10 WiFi Issues

I had this too. The change to DNS settings appears to have fixed it. Very disappointed with PlusNet that they appear to have known for months that this is a problem with their Technicolour router, but have not rolled out a fix.

SandyP

Had same issue as Rebecca with WiFi connection following Windows 10 Anniversary Update.   Microsoft told me it was a driver issue.  Laptop worked fine on friends wireless routers.  Having spent hours trying to resolve problem and spent ages trying to speak with a PlusNet engineer on the telephone (almost impossible) I gave up and discovered the Plus Net Community.   Saw Rebecca's problem similar to mine and read Gel's recommendation and followed it and hey presto everything seems to be working fine.   So grateful thanks to Gel and no thanks to Microsoft and Plus Net

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Armadillo

Hi

I typed the message below before I spotted the post from Rebecca. I thought I would still post it to show others what to not waste their time with!

I have changed the DNS addresses as in Gels post (this seems to work – hooray!, many thanks Gel) but I have a few questions :

a) I dont know anything about DNS. Can anyone explain why the the changes are necessary ie why the “obtain DNS server address automatically” cant be used and the addresses have to be entered manually?

b) is it the case that using the Google DNS server means that Google now know all ones browsing history even if not using their website/s ?

c) do the Plusnet routers (Hub One and 2704n types) work in “obtain DNS server address automatically” mode with Windows 10 Anniversary version ?

d) what other routers (other than Plusnets) would work in “automatic” eg does anyone know if the Belkin N150 ADSL Router (approx £10 on eBay) is OK ?

Help

Since installing Windows 10 on my desktop I keep getting the dreaded "This Page Can't be Displayed" message. It doesnt necessarily coincide with a loss of internet connection because on many occasions I can navigate back to a previous page (and refresh it even) with no problem.

Turning off and on the Internet Connection will sometimes get things going again but the only "guaranteed" way to get browsing again is to Restart the machine, its not long before the error comes back again though and I have to Restart again.

Hopeless !

I have two Android Tablets, and a laptop (running Windows 7) which work "perfectly" with their wireless adapters including when in the same room as the Desktop. I get no "This Page Can't be Displayed" messages.

If I use the Troubleshooter to investigate I get "Your Computer Appears To Be Correctly Configured, But The Device Or Resource Is Not Responding" Um ?

I have experimented with the following without finding a cure :

1) performed System File Check.

2) tried two different wireless network adaptors - one within the PC and an external USB one.

3) tried different wireless channels (thought I may be getting interference from a neighbour)

4) tried three browsers (IE11, Edge and Firefox) with the different adaptors.

5) reset Internet Explorer.

6) turned off wireless and used Ethernet.

7) carried out the instructions in http://www.kapilarya.com/your-computer-appears-to-be-correctly-configured-but-the-device-or-resource... .

I'm running out of ideas.

Does anyone know of a cure to this problem ?

I feel the problem is within Windows 10 but I wonder if it could be the router.

Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues with the Plusnet Technicolour TG582n router and Windows 10 ?

Thanks to anyone who can help”

JamesDL
Dabbler

There may be a MUCH SIMPLER solution to this problem. I had the exact same issue after the Win10 update, Page won't load after timeout. Spent hours trying all of the tecky routes (network drivers, router options etc) only to find (by a fluke) that the Wi-Fi option had been turned to OFF, after the Win10 update had finished, in (I think) Device Manager.

Click the Internet icon in the right-hand system tray - click the Wi-Fi box in the pop-up - toggles it on & off. Switch it to on. This seems to interrupt the internet connection so open it up and disconnect and then reconnect. Bingo

I really wish Microsoft would stop interfering with settings when they apply updates.

colmcam
Dabbler

I'm sure JamesDL's solution will work for some and be welcome. In my case the Windows 10 upgrade had not turned off the Wi-Fi in Device Manager. Gel's solution, posted 2 months ago, of changing the DNS settings to Google's worked for me immediatly and is still working.

JamesDL
Dabbler

Colmcam - Humble Pie from me. Problems persisted and following your reply to my post I followed Gel's solution and am happy to say this has fixed the issue properly. Thanks to both Gel and yourself

colmcam
Dabbler

JamesDL - Glad the problem is fixed for you. Obviously Plusnet do not monitor these posts as I'm fairly sure from reading the other posters that the problem is with their Technicolor Router. If so, they should have fixed it or issued advice similar to Gel's.

JamesDL
Dabbler

Colmcam - Agree, especially as I have also had to make the same DNS update for my Ethernet connection. This was working but incredibly slow to load any pages (for Ethernet) . After the DNS update, noticeably MUCH faster.

JamesDL
Dabbler

Armadillo - Check out this URL. It takes a while to follow and you may not understand it entirely (I know I don't) but you'll get the gist and, hopefully, put your mind at ease. Hope this helps.

Also if you check the latest posts by myself and colmcam you'll see that the DNS update might also be necessary for your Ethernet connection (mine did).

https://www.lifewire.com/top-public-internet-dns-servers-817519

Vanessa

Gel, you are a genius. Changing my DNS settings to what you suggested has sorted my issues.

Plusnet help desk have been useless, they told me that it was my computer but offered no help to sort it. I've had weeks of virtually no internet and lots of hassle. Will seriously consider changing broadband provider when my contract runs out.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

SkidrowSKT

I created my account to let you know the abysmally slow internet issue is finally gone after applying your fix. Thanks a lot, Gel!