cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind + Rain = Drops

wheelman

Wind + Rain = Drops

Hi Folks,
Been with Plusnet for a few months now and I'm very happy with the service however I have a strange issue with my connection and need some advice:
Short version: When I hear rain hitting my living room window, I say goodbye to my friends on xbox live.
The combination of rain and a very strong gust of wind causes my connection to drop. There's no indication of any noise on the line prior to the cut off (using router stats). When it resyncs, it always comes back at roughly the same sync speed (20,000 - 21,000 kbps) but often with massive lag and only a meg or so of bandwidth. I see a saw-tooth pattern in speed test and ping tests reveal that a few pings come back around 20ms then one at 500 - 1000ms then back to 20ms. This continues until the weather settles down then everything is ok again.
When the line goes into this state, gaming is not possible which is unfortunate as that's my main internet activity for which I pay £5 a month for the pro add-on.
During normal weather conditions, my connection is great. Any piece of kit that requires a network connection is hard wired.
I'm happy to jump through the necessary hoops but let's face it: Any line test or engineer who comes out isn't going to see a fault unless it's a stormy day. So I'd like to know realistically; what are my chances of getting this fixed?
Thanks in advance,
Alexi.

2 REPLIES 2
godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Wind + Rain = Drops

It would be useful to know if when this problem is happening, if you pick up the phone, and hit 0 or another number just once, which will quickly cease the dial tone, do you hear unusual pops, crackles or other noises? If so, it can be raised a a voice fault, which will get dealt with quicker.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Wind + Rain = Drops

Hi medicomp,
Sorry to hear about the issues you're having here. Faults like this are most likely to be line related and generally come down to issues with joints between sections of cable.
I've just finished running some tests on your line and that isn't highlighting any obvious issues, however have you also had any problems using the landline during that type of weather.
what are my chances of getting this fixed?

every chance, I'm not trying to say that this will take a very long time to resolve but patience and persistence are always  virtues with these types of issues so do report this here:
https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
Give me a nudge when you have and I'll make sure things get moving on this ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team