cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Speed 50% Slower than Wired

Fobocop

Wifi Speed 50% Slower than Wired

Hi,
I'm new to Plusnet, so haven't posted before - but could really do with some advice.
I've had Fibre Extra fitted today, with the Technicolour 582n router.  My wired speeds are amazing - 72/16.  However, any device I am connecting wirelessly is only getting speeds of 37/16.  The devices are all wireless n enabled, so should be capable of getting roughly the same speed as wired.
Didn't want to put it through as a fault yet because PN will probably tell me the line needs a while to stabilise etc.
Anyone else have this problem?  Seems like s duff router to me!
Thanks 
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Wifi Speed 50% Slower than Wired

welcome to the forums Fobocop Smiley
there have been a few complaints raised on the forum about wireless speeds with that router
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Fobocop

Thanks for the welcome!
Yeah, I can only think that the router is the weak link here - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has upgraded.
I know 37/16 is ok for most things, but it's the principle really!
Fobocop

Could anyone confirm whether they have experienced a similar drop in performance when using this router, or should I put it through as a fault?
Thanks
kmilburn
Grafter

It depends on what you are connecting with..
Most (if not all) phones and tablets only use a single antenna,  which (IIRC) limits them to 64mbps, subject to distance.
So gettings 37/16 sounds about right,  and is consistent with my my phone and tablet.
Good Laptops and Desktops with multiple antennas are required to get more than this.
Fobocop

Ah okay,
That's good to know thanks.  I'm new to Fibre - having previously been getting about 12/1 through ADSL, there was very little difference between wired/wireless.
It comes to something when your broadband is too fast for your equipment!
Thanks again!