Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi coverage over through the house!!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: WiFi coverage over through the house!!

Hi @Myasophie1980

WiFi is merely an optional alternate gateway to access the internet - a wired LAN (Ethernet) connection is always the primary connection method, and is the only one which can be guaranteed on both speed and stability.

There are a large number of potential reasons for slow speeds and sometimes these are difficult to track down.

It's likely the problem lies between your router and your devices which we don't have visibility of.

Unfortunately due to the way WiFi works there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal.

Have you tried changing the wireless channels? Which do you current have your router set up to broadcast over? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Yes i have, through the instructions of the Plusnet man! Still no difference!!! X
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

If you've tried channels 1, 6 and 11, then the only other suggestions are:

Move the router to a more central position in the house (the limiting factor is where a phone socket is)

As previously suggested - therefore only a suggestion, opt for a router with better wifi capabilities - Baldrick1 had offered one suggested router on the previous page.

Other options are to try every single channel 1-13, or use some sort of wireless extender.

It does sound like a wifi range issue and Plusnet are only here to make sure the connection from the router to the www doesn't drop. They've already said wifi is something they can't control or really assist with.

The probable reason for the range issue is factors within the home or neighbouring wifi routers.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

First thing which springs to my mind is could it be a faulty router?

You're going to have to test a few things to narrow this down. You mentioned the speed is poor on wireless (when you can get it). It may not be convenient, but you need to test a wired connection with your computer and yes I know that might involve moving it. Ideally in the master socket and also check there is no noise on your landline too. I'd make a test call or dial 17070 and do a quiet line test (option 2).

Yes I know a song about that. Roll_eyes

If it makes no difference and the speed is still poor, PlusNet can perform tests on your line just make sure the router is on.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Myasophie, thank you for getting back to us. I have tested your line this morning and the drops we saw towards the start of last week were certainly concerning and could be signs that there's a underlying issue.

Although the connection has looked to be much better starting from the end of this week, when testing your connection we were seeing the speeds have been banded. This is more than likely due to the automated line management making changes to help prevent further drops. It's capped your speed between 3-6Mbps which explains the 4Mbps or so you've been seeing your side and I have taken steps to get the speed cap removed for you. Hopefully from here you should see increased speeds however this may result in drops continuing with the connection as a whole moving forwards. As there's convincingly a underlying issue occurring with your connection I'd advise we look into getting to the bottom of this before exploring wireless improvements as any monitoring or tweaks when changing wireless settings can be easily by misjudged by overall connection issues.

My changes to your connection and speed should come into effect straight away and if you can please monitor throughout the rest of today to see if the drops persist or not. If they do then we'd recommend running through some troubleshoot steps as seen below:

Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here, let us know how you get on: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

If you do notice the connection dropping (broadband light goes out) over the next few hours then one of the key troubleshoot steps would be to get the router in the optimal set-up and then seeing if the issue persists. This rules out internal wiring such as the face plate, extension sockets and wiring to other sockets as being the problem. For steps on how to locate and set-up in the test socket you can check here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know how the connection goes over the next 24 hours or so, how the troubleshooting goes if need be and if the speeds have jumped up somewhat and there's no further drops then I'd recommend now beginning to optimise your wireless with all the settings on our side where they should be. Let us know how it goes.

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Thank you all the guidance, I’ve followed all the tests and trouble shooting, and there is still no improvement.
I’ve now had a message from my mobile phone provider that I’ve used all my data this month, and I still have a further 10 days left.
I never had any issues in the house when I was with sky!
The kids can’t watch the now tv boxes they have in their rooms or my eldests Xbox live, as it doesn’t get a connection, and my Apple TV also can’t keep a signal, the only smart tv that works is the one in the living room next to the box!
This is causing massive issues now, and I’m really not getting the service I’m paying for!
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Myasophie1980,

Your line seems to be alot more stable (the drop at 13.30 today was my testing) and everything seems to be fine.

If you're still having problems I would suggest trying the other wireless channels, not just 1,6 and 11.  It's a bit of trial and error but usually perseverance is worth it. I myself am currently sat happily, for the moment at least on channel 8, but that wasn't without trying channels 1-7 before this.

The other thing I would suggest and I know someone touched on this briefly, but try connected via a wired connection with a device to your router and see if you are still experiencing an issue. If not and the connection works fine then its almost certain that the problem is wireless.
From that point, if none of the channels help, then either signal boosters, powerline adapters and using a wired connection to things like computers and TV's may be the best means of a solid, reliable connection.

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

I’ve done all these things suggested already!
Signal is fine when I’m close to the box, I have all 3 bars, if I walk 20 foot away to the kitchen it disconnects.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Optimatts @BD  Don't want to tread on anyone's toes, but the OPs comment above sounds like a dodgy router?

@Myasophie1980 Is it possible to use an ethernet cable to a laptop? And what speed do you get if you can?

John
DS
Seasoned Champion

I did mention a range issue earlier in this thread... but could it be a faulty router after all? (I'm aware two others have suggested this)

Or have these older routers also been sent a software update recently, like it's big brother the Hub One? (just that I've been having new issues with the software on the hub one, one being it seems like the wifi range is a tad lower, whereas the OP is using a hub zero) - just a thought;)

It might be worth re-reading the advice given, the hub6 has (based on my own testing) a far superior wifi range. Yes it'll cost you around £20, but could stop all this hassle. Likewise, totally understand your reasons for wishing to utilise your ISP supplied router.

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

I don’t have a laptop unfortunately!
I think it’s the router!
Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Where would I get one of those??
It’s driving me mad now, just want to leave Plusnet!
This has been going on for weeks!
DS
Seasoned Champion

Well, I call it evilbay, but you'll know it as ebay or amazon or where ever.

Look for a brand new (boxed, ideally never opened) one.

It should, looking or watching a few listings, cost no more than £20 including p&p

There are some 'how to use a BT Hub 6' instructions on these forums for how to set it up on a Plusnet connection (it won't just work, it needs some adjustments)

During any point, if you get stuck, drop a note here and hopefully someone will step in to guide you.

They are not difficult to setup, but does need some careful tweaks from you (us).

There are no guarantees this will fix it, but from me own point of view, it is a better router in terms of wifi.

edit

I don’t have a laptop unfortunately!

You can still connect a BT Hub 6 using a phone or tablet.

Most IMPORTANT bit I forgot to mention @Myasophie1980 is to make sure the hub 6 is a fibre to the cabinet one FTTC and NOT a fibre to the premise FTTP one. The listings will or should state FTTC

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

@Myasophie1980 @jab1, It seems highly unlikely that there's a problem with the router. Given you can connect within close proximity to the router, I would almost certainly say this is a standard (albeit frustrating nonetheless) wifi issue.

One thing I would suggest however, 

Signal is fine when I’m close to the box, I have all 3 bars, if I walk 20 foot away to the kitchen it disconnects. 

Kitchens are notorious for bad WiFi signal as (usually) they have most of the things which cause signal issues - electronic devices,  materials which don't allow signal to pass through etc. 

You say you do not have a laptop - do you have any Ethernet compatible device? 

Thanks,

MoR

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@MasterOfReality 

The OP has a Hub Zero, there ain't no 5GHz band.

@Myasophie1980 

All you need to know about upgrading to a Smarthub 6 is in my earlier post here. https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/WiFi-coverage-over-through-the-house/m-p/1625864#M33105...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'