cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi coverage over through the house!!

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

WiFi coverage over through the house!!

If I move around 20ft away from my router I lose all WiFi. We don’t get it upstairs at all, only live in a 3 bed house!
Router is based by the tv, at the front of the house, it’s a through room, but still 20ft away all WiFi disappears!
Any ideas why?
32 REPLIES 32
Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Re: Current Line Speed please !

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Re: Where do I go to check my PlusNet speed profile

Can you check my speed as it’s only coming up as 4.40Mbps, and if I move 20ft away from my router I lose all WiFi!
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: WiFi coverage over through the house!!

Hi @Myasophie1980,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with wireless range.

Could you try splitting the 2.4GHz / 5GHz frequency bands and changing the wireless channel to avoid interference.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals.

You can also download a free app by searching for 'WiFi analyser' on an Android device, this will provide you with local routers and their wireless channel so you can avoid those channels which are heavily congested.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Where do I go to check my PlusNet speed profile

Hi @Myasophie1980,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this issue has caused you. @Jubby has now replied on your thread here. Please keep everything to this thread moving forwards as this will ensure that we won't miss any of your comments and that everything is in the same place.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Once I’ve done the password advanced settings, this is what I get! There is no option for wireless?!?
Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Also there is no admin password on the back of my router!po
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Looking at the first image, it's the next option after DNS - wireless is WiFi.

(but your router isn't a Plusnet Hub One)

The second one confirms it's not - also not a good idea to post your wifi SSID and your wireless pass key on an open forum. If your neighbour reads this, they can jump on to your connection

(blue text is the edit)

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Sorry deleted the picture. So if I’m not that one, what am I???
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Yours is a Plusnet Hub Zero - or Plusnet 2704n.

This one doesn't come with 5GHz wifi afaik.

The Plusnet Hub One does have this, though I'd have to say you ain't missing out on much.

You could get some sort of wireless 'sniffer' to check what channels your neighbours are on, then try and select a channel with the least congestion. On Android devices 'WiFi Analyzer' works well. I would suggest only opting for channels 1, 6 or 11.

Google wifi overlap if you want to - that's why I suggest 1, 6 or 11.

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

I don’t even know what 1,6, or 11 is???
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Myasophie1980, thanks for getting back to us.

1,6 and 11 are wireless channels, which you're able to change within the router settings, as the below steps illustrate:

1) To connect to your Plusnet Hub Zero, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Once you are connected, you will see the option that says 'Wi-Fi Network' with the name of your network followed by the 'Settings' button.

3) Please select 'Settings' and you will be asked to log in with the 'Router Password'. This password is found on the bottom of the router and is case sensitive. This password can also be found on the plastic card that came with the router.

4) The Channel is the key option that we need to look for, If this is on Auto then we will want to change this to one of the 13 channels listed on the drop down menu. This stage is all down to trial and error to find the best channel for you.

If we are experiencing issues on wireless, then it is recommended to change this to one of the 13 channels listed.

Please let us know how you get on.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Post merged into one topic to make support easier and to keep information in one place.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Myasophie1980 

Click on this link for an independant review of your router. Especially read about its dismal wifi performance.  https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

Next go on to Ebay and spend £10-20 on a BT Smarthub 6. You need the version with four yellow LAN sockets on the rear. Avoid any with a red WAN label fixed to a LAN socket.  Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

This should solve your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Still getting nothing even when I’ve tried all three of your suggestions? Why?