cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi Speeds at my new house

gerrydavis125

Wi-fi Speeds at my new house

I moved house in early July but in the same Canterbury area CT5. Speeds at my old address, CT5 2LF were good, not needing apeed checking as the service was fast and consistent.

At my new address CT5 2QL speeds have been average and we had outages where devices lost connection. I assumed this was due to the demand for internet / wifi caused by so many people working at home and children being off school. Of late the situation has deteriorated much further. Watching TV using wi-fi (Amazon Prime or Now TV for example)  is often like looking at a picture of muddy soup and constant hangs with the circle going round and round.

I am now running speed test extensively and have connected into the master socket to run the tests. They are incredibly varied. Last week I saw results between 60 and 70 mbs but also results as low as 16 and 19 mbs. This week starting Monday 30th November my results are about 20mbs on  average with highs of only 39mbs and many results as low as 10-12 mbs. Connection is still through the master socket with a filter attached.

Are there problems with service in the part of Whitstable (CT5 2QL) and can you explain why the service is so poor at the moment? And what can I do to resolve the issue please?

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Wi-fi Speeds at my new house

@gerrydavis125 

Can you confirm that you are doing speed tests using a computer connected to the hub via an Ethernet cable with nothing else using the Internet?

Unless you do this it is difficult to know whether you have a network or wireless problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gerrydavis125

No, they were just mobile phone tests. Will get an ethernet cable tomorrow and run some test into the back of the roouter as requested.

But speeds of 1 mbs?Huh

gerrydavis125

Definitely not a Wi-Fi problem. Speeds of 65 mps on a number of tests with the ethernet cable. Running the same test alongside the pc on the phone produced 20-28 mps. How do you suggest we nail down the interference that is restricting the phone(s) performance and the TV's?

Hope you can help.

Gerry

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@gerrydavis125  I assume that "not a wi-fi problem" is a typo. If you get 65Mbps on ethernet and the phone is connected by wireless it looks like a wi-fi problem to me.🙄

Baldrick1

@gerrydavis125 

This is a WiFi problem. Start by separating the bands and try each in turn to find tthe best, see.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer

gerrydavis125

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies and the advice. Yes I meant that the wi-fi to the house is no problem and therefore the issue is, as you say with the devices or interference. I'm getting very mixed results accross a number of wi-fi connected phones, computers and tablets and different results at different times - so it looks like intereference to me.

I will follow the link and update the settings. Then report back. Thanks again for the help.

Gerry

gerrydavis125

HI Guys

Have seperated the bands and at the moment I'm am not using the 5G band to connect anything. Should I switch it off. I'm advied by the web page this will turn my light orange and disconnect all my devices. But as nothing is connected using 5g?

Please advise.

Gerry

Baldrick1

@gerrydavis125 

If you are not using it then it matters not if you leave it on or switch it off. Some of these hubs are noisy on the 5GHz band so if you have one of these then switch it off.

Moderator and Customer

gerrydavis125

Thanks I did. And performance much better except for main TV. Connected through wi-fi or via plugs. Not sure why the signal is so poor and it is only about 4 metres from the rooter. Any ideas or should I run an. Ethernet cable?
Baldrick1

@gerrydavis125 

If you can run an Ethernet cable then that is definitely the way to do it. I played with both wireless and powerline devices and had nothing but random buffering problems when streaming. My Ethernet connection works faultlessly.

Moderator and Customer

gerrydavis125

Great thanks. Hope I can hide the cable and think I can.

Gerry