Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Security?

joecool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wi-Fi Security?

Hi using 'Plusnet's router' at present just wondering is it needed to change the wireless network name? & is it as simple as just changing the name in 'Configuration of wireless access point'?  Any tips.... do's or don't's when choosing name?
Appreciate any help as 'am new to using wireless.
Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wi-Fi Security?

HI joecool,
If you mean the SSID then you can change it to anything you want really, just don't make it too long, I've seen examples where that can cause issues.
Jojo Smiley
joecool
Rising Star

OK thx so would you recommend changing the password as well? If I change the SSID do I have to restart the router?  Thx
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The place to change settings is on the Wireless Access Point - Configure page.
In this context I assume you mean changing the WPA-PSK Encryption Key. That's up to you. If you do make any changes don't forget to click the Apply button at the bottom of the page. I don't think these changes require a router restart; they'll take effect immediately so anything wireless connected will lose its connection as soon as the change is applied.
David
dfunked
Grafter

Shouldn't really matter what you call it... I've always steered clear of having any spaces in mine, but I think any issues caused by that are a thing of the past these days...
I think the character limit is 32, but some routers will kick up a fuss if you go over 31 characters (which is still plenty, you don't need to write an essay!!!)
The main rule to follow is to always add a touch of humour and originality to your SSID... There's nothing more boring than being surrounded by a load of "BT home hub 12312" and "Sky 1231204"
joecool
Rising Star

Thx guys appreciate your advice, I have to TV's connected via network, is it as easy to reconnect these?
So would you say everything is safe enough if the Plusnet 'Network name & password' are not changed, am just worried about devices connected already via wi-fi & not being able to reconnect them? Sorry if questions basic but unsure about wi-fi.

Thx again
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your location in a position where others would find it easy to eavesdrop unnoticed on your wireless transmissions (eg tenanted flats next door)? In this situation regularly changing settings might be appropriate.
Otherwise it's up to you to decide but in my opinion "safe enough" is a fair description to apply to the default settings on the Plusnet supplied TG585v8.
David