cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi Hangs but Ethernet fine

wjclarke98
Dabbler

Wi Fi Hangs but Ethernet fine

I have a PC and laptop both operating on Windows 7. I have experienced problems getting a wi fi signal to parts of my house. To help, I have put in two powerline mains adapters connected to the modem/router and to the PC and I have no problem with the PC. Every couple of hours, the laptop and other devices using the wi fi report that their is no longer an internet connection. There is a connection because the PC is still accessing it and a scan for a wireless signal using Netsurveyor shows an excellent signal where the laptop is situated. I can solve the problem temporarily by re booting the modem/router (Netgear Wireless-N) but within a few hours I have the same problem repeated.  Any suggestions would be wonderful
9 REPLIES 9
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Wi Fi Hangs but Ethernet fine

What is the full model number of your Netgear wireless router?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Any fault that can only be cured by rebooting the router is a router fault.  For router faults you can try installing the latest firmware and you can try resetting the router to its factory state (then restoring your personal settings).  If neither of those measures work then you will have to replace the router.  I actually have a Netgear router with the opposite problem: every so often it will hang the wired connection whilst the wireless connections keep going.  The only fix is to reboot the router but as this only happens every few weeks I am prepared to live with it
Anonymous
Not applicable

When your laptop is reporting "that there is no longer an internet connection"
are you able to use the web browser to  access your router's configuration web pages ?
The answer will narrow down whether you have a wireless connection problem, or an internet connectivity problem.
wjclarke98
Dabbler

Thanks.  The model router is DGN1000.  I am able to access the router configuration from the ethernet linked PC because that works fine but not from my laptop.  The laptop reports there is a connection to the router but the internet is not available.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you confirm that this happens when you have been using the laptop for a while and then it loses connectivity, and not during the laptop start up.
wjclarke98
Dabbler

Yes.  I can get  several hours use out of the laptop and then for no apparant reason the laptop reports that it is no longer has internet access although it remains connected to the modem/router.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if you have a neighbour with a strong wireless signal on the same channel as your setup, and your wireless signal is getting wiped out when they switch their router on.
Have you tried changing wireless channels on YOUR router to another clear channel number, to see if that cures it ?.
The other old chestnut is if there is some problem with DHCP, and possibly timing out the lease on your wireless connections.
You could try setting the laptop to be a static IP address outside your router's DHCP address range.
You could also try setting the laptop DNS settings to "208.67.222.222" and "8.8.8.8" to see if the problem is router DNS related - which is not unknown !
wjclarke98
Dabbler

Thanks.  I will give those suggestions a try.  Before I do I am going to change the telephone socket so it might be a few days before I get things sorted. 
wjclarke98
Dabbler

I have solved the problem by changing the phone socket.  The one I was using was not my main input to the house. I have also changed the modem router to a netgear rangemax and my problem has settled down.  Thanks all who have helped.