cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Connection Problem

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Wi-Fi Connection Problem

I am using a laptop with Vista installed.  When I connect to my home Wi-Fi each time I switch on I have to connect manually.  This is only since I installed a new Thomson router.  Before when I switched on the connection was automatic. I can't see anything to allow me to connect automatically. 
When I visit other Wi-Fi areas that I have used previously the laptop connects automatically.
Any ideas please?
9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Wi-Fi Connection Problem

I bet it's that problem with the firmware again.  In which case you need to update to the latest version http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for your reply.  I'm using version 8.2.7.8 which is the latest version I think.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, that's the latest version.  But the symptoms are very reminiscent of the type of problems many people had with the previous fimware 8.2.7.7 . 
mickstreet
Grafter

Could you not borrow / try another pc or even smart phone to determine if the problem is with the router or laptop? Initially I would say its a setting on Vista rather than the router?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks guys for your help on this problem.
@mickstreet, I can connect with my Samsung Galaxy S2 with no problem.  If the problem is within Vista why would it only affect the laptop when attempting to connect to this particular router?  Seems odd.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
If the problem is within Vista why would it only affect the laptop when attempting to connect to this particular router?  Seems odd.

It does seem odd but with the previous firmware most of the connection problems with this particular router were with Windows Vista or Apple.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

It's no real problem to manually connect each time I use the laptop.  It just seems odd that that it only happens with the Thomson router.
houlton23
Grafter

I have a gut feeling that the following setting has been turned off for your WiFi network for some reason, this would explain why the issue is restricted to your wifi network and not others.
The only problem is I don't know how to get to it in Vista, but off the top of my head from my days with Vista, I think it might be:
Network and Sharing Center --> Manage wireless networks --> then right click on your network's SSID and click properties
Then make sure that the box saying "Connect automatically when this network is in range" is ticked.
Hope this helps,
Alex Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Eureka Smiley Smiley  That's solved the problem.  Thank you for your help.