cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is speed getting slower

rena
Grafter

Re: Why is speed getting slower

Hi Jojo. Done another test. How long does it normally take for the IP Profile to lift

FAQ

Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
5425 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5425 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15420 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.38:23.49:65.14 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
266 Kbps

0 Kbps 448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 266 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Notes:
The Download Speed is the average rate that was achieved during this test.

Notes:
Your line is configured to the maximum rate that it can support or at your chosen fixed rate, this is known as the line rate and would be viewed through your CPE software or in your router configuration.
Your IP profile is always less than the line rate and is normal on any network.
The Upstream Test rate figure quoted will always be smaller than the assured rate profile. This is because in order for the throughput to reach its destination, it requires an overhead which explains the difference between the two.

Notes:
If your download speed lies in this range then your connection seems to be working fine.

Notes:

Notes:
Your line is configured to the maximum rate that it can support or at your chosen fixed rate, this is known as the line rate and would be viewed through your CPE software or in your router configuration.

Apprentice
Grafter

For my IP profile of 2000Kbps to increase to 3500Kbps took around 130 hours of continuous sync between the router and the exchange.
Maybe BT have changed something in their DLM systems as it never used to take that long for an increase of that percentage to kick in.
More info here
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rena,
have you moved it from the test socket or do you have anything else plugged in? as the SNR on your line is now over 20dB which is not helping.
Jojo Smiley
rena
Grafter

Hi Jojo
It's still in the test socket (i'm going to leave it there until someone checks the wiring). The only other thing I have plugged in is the phone. The phone and router are plugged into the microfilter which is plugged into the test socket.  I had to put the phone in there too because now that the test socket is being used none of the other sockets will work.
I'm sorry I don't know what  SNR and 20dB????
I've just done another test (in the test socket).  Please advise what happens next. thanks

FAQ

Download Speed
5345 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5345 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6656 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 14000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 18.77:21.08:60.16 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 
Upload Speed
345 Kbps

0 Kbps 448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 345 Kbps
Additional Information:

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Notes:

Notes:
The Upstream Test rate figure quoted will always be smaller than the assured rate profile. This is because in order for the throughput to reach its destination, it requires an overhead which explains the difference between the two.

Notes:
If your download speed lies in this range then your connection seems to be working fine.

Notes:

Notes:

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rena,
SNR (signal to noise ratio) is about 6dB (decibels) on a good line. This allows for some slight noise on a line without affecting the broadband. This figure will increase if there is more noise on the line, so at 20dB there is obviously some interference somewhere. Can you perform a quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2 and see if you can hear noise down your line in the following order..
1) As it is set up now.. then, if there is still noise
2) remove the router from the filter...then, if there is still noise
3)Try a different filter with both phone and router in...then, if there is still noise
4)remove the router from the filter...then, if there is still noise
5)Try the phone on its own in the test socket.. then, if there is still noise...
Raise a fault here
Jojo Smiley
rena
Grafter

Hi again Jojo,
I tried the test but I couldn't hear a noise. Should it have been a loud or quiet noise? All it sounded like was when you are on the phone to someone and neither of you speak (if that makes sense???). What next. (My landlord still hasn't got back to me!)
Rena
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rena,
In that case I would just click the link in my last post and raise a broadband fault.
Jojo Smiley
rena
Grafter

HI Jojo,
And will I also 'remind' my landlord again to get the wiring looked at?
Rena
rena
Grafter

Hi again Jojo,
I am trying to raise a fault as you advised, but i've come to a question about trying a different router and it's saying that I could be charged for it!!! I've only been with Plusnet for a month and i've had problems since day 1. It tells me to try a different router. I don't have one. So that means that I either have to go out and buy one, or, if they come out and decide the problems lies with the router i've got they will charge me!  Either way it's going to cost me money for something that's not my fault! 
Rena
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rena,
Don't worry about that. If the automated checker does not fix a fault then it will drop to our faults team. If they suspect the router they would send one out before sending an engineer.
Jojo Smiley
mapletree
Grafter

If your sync speed has dropped that much when you have the microfilter and phone plugged into your test socket then maybe it's not your wiring but instead your mircofilter.  Have you tried a different microfilter?
rena
Grafter

Hi Mapletree,
Yes, that's the 2nd microfilter. 
rena
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
I reported a fault yesterday and so far they can't find anything wrong (is that good or bad!).  It remains in the test socket. I just did another speed test again. I don't understand these tests but I have noticed the the profile has changed again, it's went from 6500>14000>6000 - does that mean anything? All I know for sure is that according to Plusnets website I should get a speed of between 7000-17000.
Also, I'm a bit concerned as Mapletree asked me if I had tried another microfilter, which I have, but now I'm thinking maybe I should try another incase there's something wrong with both of them? They are brand new,as i've only been a customer for a month. I'm just worried in case an engineer calls and says it's the microfilter (or something else that's my responsiblility)

FAQ

Download Speed
5601 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5601 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6656 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 20.65:18.87:60.48 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
Upload Speed
345 Kbps

0 Kbps 448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 345 Kbps
Additional Information:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

Notes:

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rena,
When it said we can't find anything it just means that the automated checker didn't find anything it could fix. I've looked into it as much as I can for now but I'm not a faults agent and it will need more indepth testing which the faults team will do. The ticket has now gone ito the appropriate pool for testing and will be picked up in due course.
Jojo Smiley
rena
Grafter

Thanks Jojo
Will I try another filter or just leave it (am I being paranoid??)