cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my broadband Line speed half than what I was getting with Sky.

Shellseeker

Why is my broadband Line speed half than what I was getting with Sky.

I have recently moved over from sky (Nov 13) and my broadband speed was 13.3mb down and 1.1mb up since joining plusnet I am only getting 7mb down and 0.3mb up. my estimate speed is supposed to be between 12 to 19 so why am I not achieving this.
Also the technicolor router supplied by Plusnet keeps droping out during rainy and windy weather of which we have had alot recently one day it disconnected 11 times making the internet unusable. Is this router any good as I have an old Netgear one I could use if not.
So how do I report these problems to Plusnet as I have tried their online assistant but that too failed to complete it repoted an error and had to close.
Any help would be much appriciated.
10 REPLIES 10
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Why is my broadband Line speed half than what I was getting with Sky.

Can you post your router stats up on here ? Info on how to do this is on the top of the forum.
You can either raise a fault ticket or call them on their 0800 number to report the issues.
Shellseeker

Thank You Dom S
I have now had a reply from the technical assistant I tried yesterday they say they are going to monitor my line for the next 48 Hours and get back to me, so I shall see how it goes.
I have also now found the 0800 no you mentioned so will have that avenue as well in the future.
How do people rate these Technicolor routers are they alright?
We are not heavy users of the internet mainly just email and browsing no gaming or media streaming.
picbits
Rising Star

They are "ok" - not brilliant but adequate for most users.
Any speed drop if any should only be a Mb or two. Wireless performance isn't great but again adequate.
Are you checking your speeds wirelessly or via a wired connection to the router ? This can make a big difference sometimes.
Shellseeker

I have cheecked both I am getting about 5mb wirelessly and about 7.5mb hard wired to the router, what would be the expected speed wirelessly? I expect it to be less than a hard wired connection but by how much?
I have also read that one cause for the router dropping out during bad weather could be water getting into the connection at the exchange end, or the roadside cabinets?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Shellseeker,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with the lower than expected speeds.
I've updated Ticket: 81708215 for you which I hope resolves the issue for you.
Shellseeker

Hi Chris,
Thanks for that my speed this morning has gone up to what I was getting with sky 14.5 down and 0.9mb up.
I restarted my router as requested (after a lot of searching on how to do it, turn it off wait 30 sec then turn back on) but ever since then the green internet light is flashing, what does this mean?
Will it settle down in a while as i said the internet and email are working correctly.
Thank you for all your help.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Glad that's sorted things for you. The Internet Light  flashes when data is being transferred, so it's completely normal for it to do that. The 'Broadband' light is supposed to remain solid.
Shellseeker

Still not happy with this internet service from plusnet we are now down to 4Mbs and suffering almost daily disconnections due to the weather we get a rainstorm come over and we almopst instantly lose the internet. I have raised a ticket with the support people who's answer is to put interleave on our line to slow us down even more?
I believe the fault is either with the router or with a dodgy connection which is exposed to the weather as it is so consistant with wind and rain shower outside connection failing, what do you forum guy think, is interleaving the answer?
Has any body else had a simular problem?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Shellseeker,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having continued problems with your connection.
It looks as though Interleaving has been enabled to try and stabilise the line, this is what it's for and happens automatically when your line is dropping out. There's very little correlation between Interleaving and speeds.
Interleaving may not resolve the issue but it may help whilst our Faults Team get back to you. I would be interested to see what our Faults Team once they complete their testing on your line.
Shellseeker

Thanks for the quick reply Chris we shall have to see what the next few days bring, unfortunately it is dry and calm here at the moment so I would not expect any disconnections in this weather!