Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my IP address not changing?

TCP443
Hooked

Why is my IP address not changing?

Hello

I've had the same IP address for weeks, I've tried to get another dynamic IP assigned by rebooting the router but I keep getting assigned the same IP.

I've just been on the phone to support who confirm that I do not have a static IP.

Why is this happening?

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Why is my IP address not changing?

@TCP443  because IP addresses are now allocated from smaller 'local' pools, so the chances of getting a different address when disconnecting/reconnecting are lower.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Wondered about this myself as I like to keep Google guessing. While rebooting the router no longer produces an instant IP change, I find that turning it off for an hour or so does the trick.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @TCP443,

Due to the nature of the way our networks set up rebooting the router won't necessarily give you a different IP address, it may be worth giving what @Longliner suggests a go. Just to clarify though this may start to affect the automatic settings on our suppliers side as it would be interpreted as drops in connection if done to often.

Thanks.