cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it too much to ask to activate my Internet?

MatthewLM

Why is it too much to ask to activate my Internet?

Hello.
I'm sick of calling the plusnet call centre. I've listened to Simply Irresistible enough times already. Also the only Q&A system has very slow response times.
So I'm now on here to ask a very simple question... Why is my Internet still inactive?
Two weeks ago my Fibre was installed and the engineer said I was getting about 8Mbit/s. He said due to a fault on the line it should be faster when fixed. I don't care if it's slow, I'd rather have some Internet than no Internet, so I was hoping it would be activated, but nope. Apparently plusnet wanted to wait for the line to be fixed. Over the following weekend it was supposed to be fixed but it wasn't, so Plusnet said I needed another engineer around last Friday. This engineer comes around and tells me he's unqualified to do any work, yet he confirms the Internet should be working. I asked yet again if it could be activated. A seemingly helpful woman tells me she will look into and text me by the end of the day but I received nothing. For the nth time, I rang plusnet again on Monday and some bloke told me I would receive a call from someone else by the next day... two days later I receive a call and am told I need another appointment (Seriously what?) today. Today passed and the engineer clearly knew what he was doing since he managed to fix it all within a few hours. If the job was so simple, goodness knows why it took so long to finally get someone to do it.
Now my phone line is activated. Yet the person I spoke to earlier this week said I'd need another appointment after the phone line is fixed. For goodness sake why? The fibre has been installed already, why can't Plusnet just activate it? And why have I received zero correspondence about the fibre order today? Yet again, Plusnet do not tell me what's going on. They expect me to call them each time. I'm not calling Plusnet again. It's your time to call me Plusnet. Maybe I'll put you on hold for over 30 minutes listening to the same songs over and over to see how you like it.
Just activate my Internet already. It can't be hard, I'm sure an ape could do it.
Matthew
13 REPLIES 13
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Why is it too much to ask to activate my Internet?

That is certainly a sad story, hopefully there'll be someone around in the morning that can pick this up for you.
xreyuk
Grafter

Sounds a bit daft.
Crap engineers is nothing to do with Plusnet though, that's BT Openreach's fault.
MatthewLM

Thanks, Plusnet do operate on Saturdays as far as I'm aware, though I'm not sure how much luck I'll get having this recognised.
BT Openreach are clearly to blame for not fixing the line in a reasonable manner, but Plusnet are clearly to blame for bad communication and often doing the opposite of what they say they will do.
For now I'll just have to make do with slow and unreliable 3G mobile tethering.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hello Matthew,
Welcome to PlusNET and the forums.  Very sad to hear of your troubles with BT Openreach and poor communications from PlusNET - all together your expectations have not been managed or fulfilled, the reasons for this I (as a customer) am not privy to.
Just to ensure you have the right expectations today, you need to be aware that the Customer Relations Team (CRT) - PlusNET staff - are not officially around the forums outside of "core office hours", therefore this issue is not certain to be picked up here before Monday.
However the CRT guys are committed individuals and it is not uncommon for one or two to have a poke around the forums during their weekends off.  During the weekend, the call centre remains your only assured communication route, which regrettably is clogged with many people having similar issues with BTOR.
Have you actually tried to use the installation?  BTOR marking the installation as complete is the trigger to activating your service, usually that does not require human intervention.
Hope you are soon sorted,
Kevin

PS: If you have tried to connect, when was that?  Yesterday afternoon / evening there were wide spread internet connectivity issues (cause still unknown) which had swamped the call centre due to huge numbers of users not being able to connect to the PlusNET network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewLM

Hi Kevin. My router is still giving a red light and I last tried it yesterday when it went temporarily green. If it goes green and I try to access the Internet it gives an error and the light goes red again. I'm pretty sure this means it is not active. The fibre order has not been marked as complete by BT Openreach (allegedly) and no one has told me why considering that my routers are installed. I would place a bet that they want another fibre engineer to come around but when they do they will say that there is nothing more to do, and it will be a waste of my time and the engineer's time. If the fibre hasn't been hooked up properly, then I have no idea why since that was supposed to have been done two weeks ago, and no one has told me this. The two fibre engineers that came around told me it should work, not that more work is needed.
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Matthew,
I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you've had. I've just activated your account now and you should be able to connect.
picbits
Rising Star

Good to see you on the Forums on a Saturday Luke Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: LukeS
I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you've had. I've just activated your account now and you should be able to connect.

As I said, sometimes CRT do lurk around here during the weekend - thanks  Luke - I hope the other issues are sorted  Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewLM

Quote from: LukeS
Hi Matthew,

Thanks Luke. I just tried to connect but I'm getting "Connection Status AuthFailure" in the router admin page. I'll restart both routers and try again.
Anotherone
Champion

Avoid restarting the modem on Fibre unless you are certain it's essential. Fibre DLM can be very aggressive in the first 24-48hours.
Unless you've entered your own BB username and password,it could be waiting upto 15 minutes for TR-069 to configure the information.
MatthewLM

Thanks everyone. The router had the wrong authentication details, but now it is working!
I see no reason why it has taken this long but I'm very glad that it is now activated and working.
Whilst trying to get it to work I have noticed that the ethernet connection between the Openreach and Technicolour routers seems to drop out. Maybe that was due to what was happening as I was attempting to connect. I'll keep and eye on it to make sure the connection doesn't drop out.
I think I need to get some champagne now. 🙂
Matthew
DanHodby
Grafter

Nice one, I'm glad its sorted now.
Like I said to you the router was showing the username without the @plusdsl.net so its possible the router was playing up a little when it initially set up.
If you need anything checking let me know.
Dan
Anotherone
Champion

Well lets hope things are OK for you from now on Matthew.. Oh.and apologies for not saying Welcome to the forums btw.  Smiley