cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is iTunes traffic marked as P2P by PN?

mitchell20
Grafter

Why is iTunes traffic marked as P2P by PN?

Why are all Apple iTunes downloads marked as P2P traffic by PN?
This is surley going to skew the monthly traffic usage figures as I suspect iTunes downloads are getting more popular, what with the TV program downloads Apple offer now and the film rentals Apple are about to start doing?
The TV program downlaods can be pretty big (the last one I did was ~500Mb for a 45 minute TV show.  The quality is excellent BTW as I can watch these on my 37" TFT TV and the quality is as good as ordinary TV  Smiley )
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Why is iTunes traffic marked as P2P by PN?

Are the iTunes downloads for TV programmes that you pay for of better quality than the ones you can download for free from the BBC (for the iPhone)?
Obviously any streaming-type downloads are of poor quality and only suitable for watching on a mobile.
Downloads should really be given P2P or FTP (non-urgent priority).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Be3G
Grafter

iTunes should be classed as a 'download server' within PlusNet's traffic management as far as I'm aware, which means that at peak times speeds are likely to be rate limited to 1Mb/s. This is different to P2P, which is generally more time-insensitive than iTunes... I'll see if I can poke Dave (PlusNet's traffic management expert) about this, as I believe this issue has appeared before.
mitchell20
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Are the iTunes downloads for TV programmes that you pay for of better quality than the ones you can download for free from the BBC (for the iPhone)?

I'm not 100% sure but I'd say yes they are, although not worked out yet how to stream BBC iPlayer downloaded programs through a TV yet to compare.
You can stream the flash online version of BBC iPlayer to a TV using your iPhone/iPod Touch plugged into the universal dock with a S-video/audio cables connected to your TV as when you access the BBC iPlayer website using your iPhone/Touch, it runs a specific beta version just for the Touch/iPhone.
I download a free TV episode on Friday afternoon (yes, they do some free ones from time to time) from iTunes and I'm 95% sure my P2P traffic usage increased.  On BBYW Pro here so dont get P2P resticted during peak hours anyway.
Got a ticket back from PN about this just giving me this link:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305115
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Be3G
.......... as I believe this issue has appeared before.

I brought this subject up before, although it related to a software update downloaded with iTunes.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,61595.msg499405.html#msg499405