Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Speedtest totally different on my two computers

keppy2008
Grafter

Why is Speedtest totally different on my two computers

Hi ,
Had Plusnet  FIBRE VALUE enabled yesterday.
I understand it takes a few days for line speed  to stabilise  yet initial speedtest on my two pcs are totally different.

SET UP >>
DESKTOP  PC    which is about 7 years old  connected via its Lan  port  directly to the plusnet router using the cable provided with the router.
Max speed on test is  8 mb/s
LAPTOP  12 months old  is connecting via wireless  and is maxing at 28 mb/s    at  present.
I thought  that  ethernet connections supposed to be faster than wireless or is the slowness on my desktop  caused by incorrect settings.
Your help and comments would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Kep
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Why is Speedtest totally different on my two computers

which O/S are you using on the desktop? if it's XP then it may require some tweaking.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
keppy2008
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.
O/S on PC  is  XP         on laptop it is Windows 7
Suggested tweaks would be appreciated ????????????????Huh
Cheers
Kep
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On XP the defined value of RWIN is likely to be far too small for a Fibre connection.
I suggest running a tweak test at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks. When the test has run click the Results button; to get tailored results set Service=dsl, Download Speed=40000, Operating System=winXP, Connection=normal and click the recommend button.
Scroll down the page to see the recommendations in section 4. Note the range recommended for RWIN - I'm guessing roughly 400000 will be the mid point.
Download DrTCP from the link provided - choose the .exe file - and note where you store it. This is a standalone executable that doesn't get installed on your computer.
Find the downloaded file and double-click its icon to run it. Enter a suitable RWIN, eg 400000 in the top box, make sure the Adapter setting strip shows your network card, then click Apply, then Exit.
Now *most important* restart your computer so that the changed setting takes effect.
After restart try a wired speed test again - hopefully the result will be much improved. Smiley
David
keppy2008
Grafter

Thanks for the help spraxyt, your advice appears to have worked wonders.
Attached file showing download of 30+  and upload of  5+ which will suit me fine.
Just done a test on my windows 7 laptop and it  has recorded 27 +  So wired speed better at this moment in time.
Many thanks once again.
Just for comment >>>>>>>  the Ethernet Adapter on my pc  is a Rhine 11  Fast Ethernet Adapter.       
I also have a 1394 socket ..........  is a 1394 ever used for connection to Fibre Router ,if so should i take that route ? 
Excuse my naivety.
Cheers
Kep
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Having a read of this wiki article will help give you some background. It's primary usage is in audio/visual applications. I personally see no advantage of 1394 over ethernet for use connecting to any routers used in any xDSL situation. Even if you could find a modem or router with the interface, later versions of Windows don't support IP over 1394.
keppy2008
Grafter

Appreciate your replies . You have been very helpful
Thanks
Kep