cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have PlusNet downgraded my service?

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Why have PlusNet downgraded my service?

Looks like they skipped it and went straight to FTTC!

This is what mine looks like Smiley

Exchange: Norwich North BT Code: EANCN
Distance:- Direct:    1.39 km
  (appx)* By Road: 0 km
  Status  
ADSL enabled: July 31, 2001
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (ADSL2+) Enabled
  21CN due : (PSTN) Info N/A
FTTC Some areas
SDSL enabled : Enabled
Broadband Access Market Broadband Access Market 3
BT price band BTw Pricing Band Band A

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Post code removed from a public forum.

Live long and prosper!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That data comes from samknows.com, which has not been updated with all the exchanges that have been upgraded to ADSL2+ in the last couple of years.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Ah well - I live in hope that one day PN will actually respond to updates on my fault ticket - what annoys me is just total silence on their part or just telling me to go back to customer services for tech support Crazy2

bin
Aspiring Pro

Well, it would have been polite if PN had actually engaged in some kind if intelligent dialogue as to how I was getting 12Mpbs d/l speeds for around a year and have suddenly had that snapped in half. However, all I get is the usual 'normal operating parameters' stuff and you kow what, life is just too short for all this hassle. So, in the meantime I have re-contracted with PN for another year - I do have a

Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed being 5.23

and the price agreed reflects the speed difference so I guess that's that. On the plus side the connection is stable so I'll just leave dslstats running 24/7 and see how we go. Thank you to all for interesting and informative comments and advice.

adrianscotter
Pro

I'm glad you found an acceptable solution, although not ideal speedwise.  I manage on 5.1Mbps down and 723Kbps up in the US with RDP, TeamViewer, AeroAdmin, LogMeIn, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer via a VPN, not all at the same time, obviously, so unless you're a bit of a gamer you should be OK hopefully.  Anyway, good luck Smiley

Live long and prosper!
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Yup, sometimes you just have to (force yourself to) be philosophical when you realise they've got you by the nuts - although our two instances of BT's own speed estimates being far lower than both the 'Kitz' theoretical estimates and our own actual speeds don't make a statistical case for accusing BT of fiddling the estimates to keep themselves out of trouble, I can't help but wonder how widespread these significantly underestimated speeds are in comparison with what users actually experience.

Hope your previous speeds magically reappear sooner rather than later -  ADSL broadband can sometimes appear to defy the laws of physics, so never say never. Wink

adrianscotter
Pro

Hopefully, new legislation will stop all BB providers taking, ahem, 'poetic licence' with speed estimates.  It's not too bad here in the UK but abroad, it's laughable.  Not only can you not find out what the actual price is anywhere except by talking to them on the telephone but you cannot find out how much it will cost at the end of the initial offer period.  It's all well and good paying (say) $19.99 per month (plus 6% sales tax, $2.19 'communication charge', $1.06 state delivery charge and one more that I cannot remember for love nor money but is around $4.00 only to find out that after 12 months of an 18 month contract, it's going up to $79.00 plus all of the bits.  I was promised (in Florida) 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up by CenturyLink, I was assured that get that speed for where I was. Never happened, not even close so it's not just UK providers that do us over, it happens in the US and Europe too.

Live long and prosper!
bin
Aspiring Pro

Hmm - that sounds like a nightmare - bit like the latest game in the UK where 'transparency' means that most ISPs now bundle line charges in with the cost as one easy monthly payment. The bit they leave out is the you don't get the chance to pay for the line in one lump and thereby save money...Evil

Anyhoo....

It wasn't (isn't) so much about estimated speeds, rather actual speeds that I was getting for a significant amount of time being slashed. Maybe I never should have had it in the first place as it was for BT customers only - and if that was the case then fine, I can accept that. What was and is galling is the tacit refusal to enter into any dialogue to explain this. I'm not about throwing my toys out of the pram - I've spent over half my life in product and tech support and the golden rule is 'always keep your customer informed' - it may be bad news but customers pay the bills and in my experience you can get back from horrendous issues simply by telling the truth - and making an effort to explain and engage with your customer. Anyway - 'nuff said - move on.