cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my line reset itself and lost speed?

Azagoth
Grafter

Why has my line reset itself and lost speed?

My connection has been up and stable with the same IP address and speed for months and months.  Now I've just come to download some things and it looks like something has happened somewhere as it's now showing a new IP address and a drastic speed drop.  The download speed has dropped by ~2500Kbps down to 9767Kbps and the upload speed has halved to 667Kbps.   I've tried dropping the internet connection and then rebooting the router a few times but each time the speed is staying around the same.

Also the connection now appears to be jerky as hell.  Sites that only yesterday were opening quickly are now taking ages and streaming video, which again was perfect yesterday, is now choppy and actually has to stop and buffer.

The only thing I can think of is that something outside of my control has caused the line to disconnect then it reconnected to a crappy pathway.  

It's bad enough being stuck on crappy ADSL thanks to you and your parent company not providing fibre in this area, despite my being in the centre of a large city, but now you're decreasing the tiny bit of speed I do have?  I want my speed back.

5 REPLIES 5
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Why has my line reset itself and lost speed?

Even Fibre connections can develop faults at any time, and yours certainly seems to be struggling now  - have you done any preliminary checks as in This link?

Azagoth
Grafter

Wow, days go by and not a single response from a member of Plusnet staff.  Where is this award winning customer service you keep banging on about?  You seem to be happy taking our money yet you don't provide the service you advertise.

I'm still having this problem.  My connection randomly disconnects and then reconnects at a lower speed (usually half of what I was getting a few days back).  I can reboot the router and the speed comes back to my normal rates but then it will drop and instantly reconnect at the lower speed.

Azagoth
Grafter

It's now been over a week and still there's been no reply from Plusnet.  If I was this shoddy in my job I'd have been sacked by now. 

I doubt you'd be this lacking if for some reason my monthly payment wasn't received.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

When you dropped the line did you leave it off long enough to pick up a new IP address when you reconnected? Say half an hour. Have you been through the standard tests using the test socket including a quiet phone line test? Have you reported the problem properly tp Plusnet or are you relying on just complaining about them here in the hope that they will pick it up?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Azagoth,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing speed issues with your broadband connection.

I've tested your line and can find no external faults that would affect the speed of your connection. As such I've sent you some advice on how to resolve your issue on a ticket here. You can use this ticket to respond to our support team or alternatively use the link contained in the ticket to raise a fault.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Dave