cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do i get usage when i am in Spain

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Why do i get usage when i am in Spain

I have just come back from Spain and noticed i have the following usage during the time i was away:
Paid-for   72.04MB   9.91MB     74.15MB   476.21KB   11.92MB   27.8MB   18.97MB
Free         534.87KB 272.47KB     64.57KB   69.82KB     60.74KB   61.22KB    62.28KB
Total         72.57MB 10.18MB   74.21MB 546.03KB 11.99MB   27.86MB     19.04MB
Its not really a problem as i wont get anywhere near my 30 gig this month but just wondered how this was possible when the computer
was switched off for most of that time ?
10 REPLIES 10
imroberts
Grafter

Re: Why do i get usage when i am in Spain

The 546KB showing on day 4 of 7 is typical of the background traffic generated by a router, the other days certainly suggest the connection has been used at least briefly each day.
When you say your computer was switched off for most of the time, would you say it was possible this was turned on each day, if only for a short time for email downloads or Windows / antivirus updates?
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

I have realised i didnt switch my router off so i can understand that.    Is it possible other traffic would try to access my computer through the router and show as a usage. the only time it was switched on was once by my daughter who called in to do a letter i know what your going to say that maybe she switched it on every day but i know that was impossible as she only used it the once so i cant explain the daily usage as i said i am not really worried but just interested...Thanks
imroberts
Grafter

It's certainly intriguing, the amount of traffic is definitely more than I would expect if your connection has not been in use at all.
To give you more of a definitive answer I'd like to have a look at an hourly breakdown of your usage to see if the usage each day is at a fixed time or whether it is equally spread throughout the day. I can't view such a breakdown at present though because I'm not at work. If I get chance I will have a quick look tomorrow and report back if I notice anything interesting or unusual Smiley
In the meantime, do you have any other equipment connected to your router? A NAS drive or VoIP system for example?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I hope you have got either WEP or WPA switched on your router, Round a mates only yesterday showing my tidly laptop, their were two open links near him and only one secured
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

No i havent got anything connected to my router and i dont know what WEP or WPA is so i wouldnt know if was switched on or not the Router i got from plusnet and i just switched it on and has been ok for last 18 months im afraid my knowledge of routers is fairly limited....
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Fantasticfourum
No i havent got anything connected to my router and i dont know what WEP or WPA is so i wouldnt know if was switched

WEP & WPA are encryption protocols, and if you have a wifi router you really should check to see that thay are enabled.
Otherwise other people can login and use your connection - and more importantly could go to some nasty web sites and leave you liable if illegal activities take place over the connection.
What model of router is it.?
imroberts
Grafter

I've had a quick look at your usage over the above 7 days and it looks like the majority of the usage is between 9-11am and between 8-10pm on each day that is showing usage.
Is it possible your connection is being used during these times?
If not I would definitely recommend that you look at your wireless security setup and ensure this is enabled.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Better still - if you don't use wireless disable it on the router
linux
Grafter

Does your router maintain an access log? If so then you should be able to determine what happened by reviewing the log.
For example my router logs the date, time, protocol, source (IP address + port), and destination (IP address + port) of every access.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi it is wireless and its the voyager 2110 maybe i should check and see if someone is picking up my wireless connection never thought of that..Thanks