cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do IP profiles drop?

digitis4r

Why do IP profiles drop?

Hi, I have constantly had a good connection with an ip profile of 7150k, until last weekend, and I now have an Ip profile of 500k?
Everytime I have logged into the router it has always displayed the sync speed of 8128/448
The Bt speedtester shows up the following
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 409 kbps

My router shows the following
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 18:24:32
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.5 / 29.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4,225
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5

Do the errors mean there is something wrong with the line? Why is the Ip profile reduced?
Thanks
digitis4r
6 REPLIES 6
paulby
Grafter

Re: Why do IP profiles drop?

You've probably had a resync caused by electrical interference on your line.  The event that caused the resync was probably quite short lived and you have now synced back at the higher rate.
Unfortunately, BT's systems will almost immediately move your IP profile downward to match the low sync event but will take about 3 days to move it back up again.
If you maintain 8128 your IP profile will be set back to 7150 - but it could take three days!
For an explanation of how it all works - see this page.
You haven't added anything new to your phone line that isn't filtered (chief suspect is normally a Sky box)?
niknaks

Hi.
I've been experiencing the same problem.  For 3 weeks now my IP profile has been restricted down to just 135 kbps. >:(.  I was previously getting download speeds of over 1mb.
I've got through all the line checks with Technical Support who have recorded that there is no problem with my line or internal wiring (I'm currently connected directly to the test socket) and the fault has been passed to BT, but that was over 3 weeks ago and since then I've heard nothing.  Whenever I contact Customer Support asking for an update I just get instructed to test the line again (I've done this same test now 3 times, twice in one 72 period) and still by 8mb Pro package is barely better than dial-up. 
They won't even give me the details for me to contact BTw directly, so I'm stuck in limbo for now paying £20 a month for a dial-up connection.  It isn't Plusnet's problem, and BTw don't seem to be doing anything about it either.  The  problem was reported to BTw on 26th October but in 3 weeks they haven't even responded.
Coincidentally, I had none of these speed troubles until I switched my Option 2 package to the Pro Gaming package.
Any suggestions would be greatly received.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
We've actually raised a fault with BT twice.
The first time, your IP Profile did return to 1500Kbps and the fault was subsequently closed.
Your fault was reraised with them on the 14th and they've just got back to us stating that they have seen a fault and would like to send an engineer round to you.  I'll pass the open ticket back to you so you can let us know when you would be free for an engineer visit.
I'm sorry about any duplication of the tests that you have been asked to do.  As frustrating as it is, unfortunately it's something we need to do to avoid you getting a callout charge.
pd
Grafter

By what mechanism is the PN profile set. 
BT were working on my local exchange last night which caused my broadband to go down.  It would appear they set up some temporary connection as while I was talking to support connectivity returned albeit at 576kbps and the person I was talking to was able to tell me that my profile had dropped to 500k - I usually have a rock solid synch of 7616 and an IP profile of 6500.
Normal service returned at 00:49, slightly reduced at 7456.  At 01:12 I switched off the router and went to bed.
This morning at 8 o'clock I switched everything back on and my BT profile had returned to its usual 6500 but the PN one still hasn't, it is stuck at 500k........
18/11/08  08:07
Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 446 kbps
My question is this - Why is it that when the BT profile drops it is mirrored in real-time by PN but when the BT profile increases it takes so long for the PN one to catch up.
pd
James
Grafter

Hi Pd,
I've just changed the profile at our end to match the one set by BT.  I fear I may have misinterpreted your PM earlier.  I thought that you were asking me to ask BT to increase your profile, rather than asking me to increase the profile at this end.
Our profile does not change in a real time fashion.  It's only updated a couple times a day.  The reason why you see the decrease in speed almost immediately, is because BT are lowering your speed.  Once BT increase the speed again, it needs our systems to update, which I've now done for you.
pd
Grafter

Thanks James.  Grin
pd