cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can’t I use Easy Connect with Windows Remote Assistance?

Eserim
Rising Star

Why can’t I use Easy Connect with Windows Remote Assistance?

The subject is from my attempt to use "easy Connect" with Windows Remote assistance - the possible reasons are;
Here are some common reasons for problems you might run into when trying to use Easy Connect.
Both computers aren't running Windows 7. In order to use Easy Connect with Remote Assistance, both of the computers must be running Windows 7.
Access to the Internet is limited. If access to the Internet is limited on either computer, Easy Connect is disabled. Internet access might be limited if you’re on a corporate network.
Your router doesn't support Easy Connect. Easy Connect uses the Peer Name Resolution Protocol to transfer the Remote Assistance invitation over the Internet. You can check your router by using the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool on the Microsoft website. If you're running Windows Server, you need to install the Peer Name Resolution Protocol.

Now the 1st two aren't really possible, which leaves the last one.  I'm using the stock Plus Net Thompson TG585 v8 router.
Any ideas - it seems a much easier way to offer remote support than getting email invites (or using third party software like TeamViewer)  - I've just delivered a  shiny new laptop to the Mother-in-law and I'm sure the jump from XP to Win 7 will cause some issues.
Cheers
Eserim
Edit - from Wikipedia
Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP) is a peer-to-peer protocol designed by Microsoft. PNRP enables dynamic name publication and resolution, and requires IPv6.
  I guess that'll be it - no IPv6 on me router