cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I so far from the BT Cab?

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Why am I so far from the BT Cab?

I posted before about why I get slow speeds (Someone who lives 3mins away gets 18meg, I get 3meg if im lucky), and got told that my cabinet is 3km away from me, when the exchange is only 1.2km away.
Why is it so far?! Ive tried getting answers from BT Openreach, but they keep telling me to go away and talk to the 'Service Provider', even though they maintain the whole network!
I found some openreach guy and asked him about whats going on, his best bet was to phone up BT, they told me go to Openreach, Openreach tell me to go to Plusnet and plusnet tell me to go to Openreach!
I think I have BT cabinets down my road, but Im not sure. There was one around 10mins away which is dead and looked identical, inside it had fat network-like cards with peoples addresses on them.
Its the one behind the Q7 -
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=e12+6qd&hl=en&ll=51.544947,0.055339&spn=0.007433,0.01929&sll=53.8006...

Question is,
If I tell BT to reinstall the line, will they connect to that cabinet or what? If that is a cabinet.
And what can I do about this?
3mb speeds when someone 3mins away can get 18mbit is annoying!

At this rate, my FTTC speeds are going to be pathetic come March 2012.

My cabinet can either be LNUPK P78 or LNUPK P87 - According to some spreadsheet I found.
Thanks for reading,
16 REPLIES 16
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Why am I so far from the BT Cab?

LNUPK is your exchange (called an OLO). LN being the region and UPT the exchange within it.
A quick check shows your cab is at the end of your road and you can spot this from the BT duct covers in front of it. Unsure why you are being told 3km to your CAB.
It's not possible to route to another CAB and it's not something that can be specifically requested (it can be investigated, but we are talking about it being highly unlikely and you would have to pay the fee for the survey).
Line plant to your property will normally be allocated to a DP (distribution point). Some properties may be served by one or more DPs. A cable bundle will then be routed back to a single PCP (Primary Connection Point or CAB). The cost of installing a new DP to serve your property via a different CAB, would infact cost a lot of money, and this is not something BT would pickup the tab for on their own.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Is my cab  defo the one down the road? I was told its 3km away as my line attenuation is 46db, but if the green bt cabinets are only down the road, shouldn't I get a good speed? Quite a few streets are on p87 and p78, I gather the locations of the cabs p87 and 78 are E12 6QD?
Thanks, Aman
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could be 10 ft away from your cab and still have an attenuation of over 60. Until you go to FTTC it's the total length of all the wire between your house and the exchange that affects the attenuation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,98905.msg837662.html#msg837662
Thats where I was told im over 3km away from my DP/Cabinet.

As the crow flies, the exchange is 1.2km away (Not 1.7 on the other thread), and around 2km by road roughley.
So, if the cabinets are down the road, (which I doubt!), il get quite epic FTTC Speeds?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It doesn't actually say that! It says that the TOTAL length of each of the lines going through your cabinet is over 3km which means that the main cable from the cabinet to the exchange is around 3km (so as is often the case it takes a circuitous route). The lines from the cabinet to the premises will be much shorter making up the total line lengths of over 3km.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
prichardson
Grafter

The CAB details I have are based on records for the phone number associated with the account your forum username is associated with.
This check did show your line is around 3.2km long.

Line length factors for ADSL and ADSL2+ are measured in the diagram above from point 2 to point 5.
Line length factors for FTTC are measures between points 3 and 5.
The distance from 3 to 5 is generally much less than the distance between 2 and 3. This should not be treated as a rule of thumb for all though, which is especially true for rural areas.
Point 2: the exchange
Point 3: the PCP (CAB)
Point 5: your property
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

So the cabinets down my road (On the google maps link in the very first post) ARE my cabinets? Some openreach bloke I asked a few days ago said those two cabinets were dead, and my cabinet was like a mile away (On Green Street, Upton park)  Huh
Wouldnt of asked, but these cabinets have NO printed identification on them, I expected them to say P78 and P87
Just out of interest, If the cabinets are less than 30m away, and FTTC Cabs will be placed quite near to them, what kind of speeds should I get come Mid 2012? BT ADSL thingy says 26.1mbps, wouldnt it be closer to 33-35mbps?
If its of any interest, the line going from the BT Pole to my house is about 3meters in length, the big wooden thing is right outside my house unfortunatley, and BT cab is 30m down the road.
prichardson
Grafter

It's the CAB down the other end of your road, on the junction with Essex Road
anytbut
Grafter

Sorry to hijack the thread but this is the *exact* same thing I was trying to find out in my thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99323.0/wap2.html
Is there anyway to identify the cab that I'm on?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid=S193599b0Lx in http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9795.msg199515.html#msg199515 might posibly help you
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: P
It's the CAB down the other end of your road, on the junction with Essex Road

I spent around 2 hours walking round like a lost sheep finding it. I must of walked past it 20 times  Embarrassed
On my way back, I see a green box with BT on it. And 78 in white letters. Me and my lack of brain! - Big thankyou for pointing it out though!
Quote from: anything
Sorry to hijack the thread but this is the *exact* same thing I was trying to find out in my thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99323.0/wap2.html
Is there anyway to identify the cab that I'm on?

Use the PCP to Postcode thingy, find the Cabinet ID and go for a long walk to find it. Or ask a Openreach person if you see one.
x47c
Grafter

The pcp list is not the ENTIRE  list of street cabinets in the UK
It's only something like a list of those whose upgrade to FTTC has already been announced/ in progress.
anytbut
Grafter

Then as my exchange (Shorne - NDSHO) has no FTTC date and probably not for quite a while,i guess there wont be any info for me to help in that link. Sad
Checked my parents postcode and they`re FTTP!  Shame wifi doesn`t stretch 30 miles. Cheesy
amcclean
Rising Star

Sadly my exchange is not in BTs currently chosen 1500 fttc or fttp exchange list. How do you discover which cab serves a particular property is there a particular web page or spreadsheet somewhere to check against?

cheers,
Podman