cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why - BT Wholesale

robalb
Grafter

Why - BT Wholesale

Why, recently yesterday and today, am I getting the following?
BTWholesale
SERVICE INFORMATION
You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before attempting to reconnect.
1. The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. 
Your service should be resumed soon. Or
2. You are testing your local connection to BT using 
'bt_test_user@startup_domain' Or
3. You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using 'bt_test_user@domain' where domain is your Service Provider domain name. Or
4. Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information. Or
5. You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.
2,3, and 5 do not appear to apply. I can not see an outage or maintenance reports for my exchange. So I wonder whether Plus Net is going down the tubes? Should I change provider?
8 REPLIES 8
jazz
Grafter

Re: Why - BT Wholesale

I started getting the same problem after I switched to fibre.  It has been covered elsewhere on this forum recently. The error page is generated by the DNS of the modem.  To overcome it you need to go into the router and where is says "Get DNS automatically from ISP" set it to "Use the following DNS"
These are Plusnet servers and since I made the alteration last week I have had no problems at all.  Smiley
robalb
Grafter

Thanks for that Jazz.
DNS is one of those things I hardly ever think about.
Can any tell me whether the paired DNS severs should be with the same source. e.g. Could I have the Plus Net DNS as the primary and the Google DNS as the secondary or vice versa?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't do that. I always set the DNS servers on my PC to bypass the router and I always add Google's.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ffox
Pro

Quote from: robalb
Could I have the Plus Net DNS as the primary and the Google DNS as the secondary or vice versa?
You can mix DNS servers up with no problems.  I've used Open DNS as primary and Google as secondary for a long time.
jazz
Grafter

Why would you want Google DNS as a secondary?  What is the advantage?  How do you find Google DNS (assuming there is an advantage in using it??)  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sometimes the PN DNS servers have issues and using a DNS server from a different organisation will remove problems.
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Se also: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jazz
Grafter

Thanks jelv!  Smiley
adagio
Grafter

So long as you don't mind Google storing even more data regarding your internet use  Wink